We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park City/Salt Lake City Babymoon Fall 2018

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Park City/Salt Lake City Babymoon Fall 2018

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to schedule a getaway for my husband and I before our first child arrives. We're looking to take a 5-7 day trip in the fall (late September/early October is most likely). I am hoping to find a combination of beautiful scenery, low impact nature activity options (kayaking, hiking, etc.) good food, and a spa.

Neither of us have ever been to Utah but Salt Lake City and Park City have caught my eye.

How's the weather during that time of year?

Would you suggest Salt Lake City, Park City, or a combo of both? If a combo, how would we best split our time?

Do you know of a great spa resort or stand alone spa in either city?

Are there low impact outdoorsy activities available in both areas? (I'll be in my second trimester)

Is there a "foodie" scene?

Any recommended hotels? We're okay with slightly upscale, $200-$300 a night, boutique is ok, would love a super cozy spot!

Any other places worth considering or any input appreciated!

Thanks,

Ashley

9 replies to this topic
utah
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Park City/Salt Lake City Babymoon Fall 2018

That is a great time to visit! It's very likely fall colors will be in full bloom especially the beginning of Oct. Usually the weather is ideal at that time. If you do some activities up in the mountains - which you should - it could be quite chilly - you'll want a jacket plus 2-3 layers you can take on and off to be comfortable.

You may want to split your time between Salt Lake and Park City. I'd probably go 4-5 nights Park City and 2-3 nights Salt Lake. It kind of depends on what you want for your trip though - you could easily spend the entire time in Park City if you don't want to check out Salt Lake.

Grand America is a really nice hotel in Salt Lake City - it has a very pricey spa which I assume is great - Little America Next door is also nice right across the street if you want to save money. You could also look at Anniversary Inn if you want something themed.

There are lots of great dining options in both areas. Others are more knowledgeable than I, I'm sure they'll help you out. If you have particular types of food you like you may get better direction. Likewise, there will be a lot of hotels/spas in Park City that fit what you are after, but others will give you more specific details. It's a good time of year for visiting Park City because it's a big winter ski location and prices are lower off season.

There's been a couple recent threads on what to do staying a few days in Park City. Here are some links to those conversations that I think you fill find helpful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g57097-i800-k11646…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28965-i411-k11673…

I think you would really enjoy the Mirror Highway and the Alpine Loop. Both are very pretty and very conducive to low impact walks - e.g. there is a 2 mile walk around Mirror Lake that is paved and flat - something similar at Cascade Springs.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Park City/Salt Lake City Babymoon Fall 2018

Thanks Brian for the very helpful response!!

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Park City/Salt Lake City Babymoon Fall 2018

Big FYI: If you're a lowlander, you have to realize that you'll be at elevation your entire stay; please plan accordingly.

Great ideas by Brian above. I'm not sure I can expand on them much, but some other ideas:

--Kamas, Midway and Heber City usually have fall festivals, so check the calendars for those places.

--Alpine Loop via American Fork Canyon, climbing the Wasatch and ending up near Sundance Resort.

--Park City has a "Silly Market" every Sunday through the fall. You'll love it! More than food, with live music.

--The Mirror Lake highway suggested above is a great mountain drive, but personally I love the drive between Francis and Hanna best (we call it "Wolf Creek Pass" but it's not the pass made famous in the 70's). In September/October it will be absolutely beautiful. It's an easy loop through Tabiona to Fruitland and back to Park City/Salt Lake City.

--Antelope Island, in the Great Salt Lake, is a great day drive from either place and totally unique.

--Nine Mile Canyon (less than a 2 hr drive from PC); it's the largest concentration of Fremont rock art in the USA; with easy to access most art from your car.

Even if you're not here for "peak" fall colors, you will be here for some spectacular fall vistas. Late September has been the "go to" weekends these past few years.

Have a great trip!

*Pixie*

Edited: 22 June 2018, 23:35
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,466 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Park City/Salt Lake City Babymoon Fall 2018

The only festival in Midway is Swiss Days on Labor Day weekend. Checked the Heber and Kamas event calendar. There are no festivals going on in either town in September.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,202 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Park City/Salt Lake City Babymoon Fall 2018

Congrats on the family!!

As far as timing, it's fantastic. You'll be here close to autumn colors at peak. And there will be several nice drive you can take for viewing plenty mentioned here. Guardsmen Pass is a back road way that connects Salt Lake City with Park City. You'll want to drive this at some point. In Big Cottonwood Canyon there are several short hiking options to consider, but the Silver Lake boardwalk, maybe be a nice easy one.

Park City and Salt Lake will offer different experiences. Park City is a mountain town with about 8,000 year -round residents. You'll be arriving after the summer season, so it will feel very sleepy. The advantage is that you'll have much cheaper rates for lodging than you would have three weeks earlier. You may also find great deals for restaurants and spas. I think the nicest setting for a hotel is Montage in Deer Valley. It's at a higher elevation though and further removed from Main Streets restaurants and shops. A couple of other hotels to look into would be St. Regis, Main & Sky, Stein Eriksen, Goldener Hirsch. At a little lower price point could be Grand Summit, The Chateau, Caledonian, maybe Hotel Park City.

In Salt Lake, it will be more of a mid-sized city feel. Wide streets, parking lots, office buildings, etc. But there are still things of interest to experience. Red Butte Gardens and the Natural History Museum of Utah are side by side and would make for a nice full day. Temple Square has gardens and grounds to walk through. You could go up Memory Grove towards City Creek Canyon. The Capitol Building has grounds to walk around. Liberty Park and Tracy aviary are nice. Eccles Theater always has something new. Downtown Farmer's Market on Saturday is an event. There may be a fun event like the Greek Festival happening in early autumn. Definitely enough to keep busy for a couple of days. And if you add day trips or half day trips like Antelope Island and Snowbird, you could easily spend more.

Both areas will have plenty of restaurants to choose from. Salt Lake's restaurants are more diverse in terms of price points and variety, as Park City tends to be more on the higher end side, though you can still find affordable options quite easily. Salt Lake will have everything from Ethiopian to Vietnamese to Tibetan to tapas and more than just one place to get it. SLC has some good bakeries, coffee shops, and specialty desert places too. Another hotel to look into in Salt Lake is Hotel Monaco.

Salt Lake is at about 4,500 feet above sea level. Park City is anywhere between 7,000-8,000, depending on the location of your hotel. If you decide to split time, you could begin in Salt Lake for 2-3 nights to help acclimate. Visit Snowbird and Antelope Island while in SLC. Snowbird has a fun Oktoberfest celebration on weekends with food, dance, and music. It's not like huge beer halls of Munich. Then head to Park City for your remaining 3-4 nights. Again, SLC will be more of a smaller city, Park City will be a sleepy mountain town.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
3,388 reviews
6. Re: Park City/Salt Lake City Babymoon Fall 2018

Great Post and Great answers.

Yes, visit Park City and SLC; although, one might easily day trip to SLC from Park City.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: Park City/Salt Lake City Babymoon Fall 2018

Connie: I'm pretty sure there are more fall festivals than Midway.. Did you check everywhere?

*Pixie*

8. Re: Park City/Salt Lake City Babymoon Fall 2018

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 June 2018, 21:30

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
142 posts
104 reviews
9. Re: Park City/Salt Lake City Babymoon Fall 2018

Hi! Have you made your decision yet? My husband and I visited SLC and PC that time 8 years ago and have lived here 7 years now! I love this area! There will be lots of beautiful hikes you can both enjoy and nature and walking trails galore. This area has lovely art galleries, theaters and restaurants. That time of year will be the annual Dine o Round in SLC which will have over 50 restaurants offering 2-3 course meals for super affordable prices. Park city will be a bit cooler but nothing you cant handle if you're from Chicago! Pros and cons to but my vote is stay in SLC and trip to PC.

Reply to: Park City/Salt Lake City Babymoon Fall 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted