We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kodachrome Basin to Page, AZ?

northeast
Level Contributor
225 posts
12 reviews
Kodachrome Basin to Page, AZ?

I am wondering if there is a way to drive from Kodachrome State Park near Cannonville down to Page, Az without going “all the way around” so to speak on Route 89 in late July?

Is there a road that head directly south that I am missing or is it only for 4x4’s etc?

We. Will be traveling in a Kia Sedona Minivan.

Thanks so much!

7 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
21,594 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Kodachrome Basin to Page, AZ?

There is an unimproved road, Cottonwood Canyon. But it isn't suitable for a mini van. Get stuck and you'll have a very hefty tow bill, if you can even make a phone call to get a tow truck to come help you.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Kodachrome Basin to Page, AZ?

I wouldn't do it in my jeep alone. I absolutely would not drive it in a minivan except in a "convoy" type of situation. Sad too, since it's a beautiful road.

But then again, so is the "long way". (;

(ps, the time it takes to do both ways is similar, due to the nature of the Cottonwood Road).

Play it safe is my suggestion, unless you can find a group of people wiling to travel it with you.

*Pixie*

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Kodachrome Basin to Page, AZ?

I can be quite a rebel in a rental, but even found found that route pretty uncomfortable, even in a 4wd SUV.

I travel solo and once past Grosvenor Arch i saw very few others = turn back.

= Take the long road.

northeast
Level Contributor
225 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Kodachrome Basin to Page, AZ?

Thanks everyone! I figured there mist be a good reason it wasn’t coming up on any route planners. Will definitely avoid it!

Edited: 22 June 2018, 04:23
Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
158 reviews
5. Re: Kodachrome Basin to Page, AZ?

Good call -- I used to live in Big Water, UT and a friend and I actually "rescued" a party who attempted to drive that road in a mini-van.

As PixieC indicates, the so-called "long way round" is just as beautiful. Stop at the Moqui Sand Caves and/or Moqui Caves near Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, or the Paria Rimrock/Toadstools Trail near mile marker 19 if you get an early enough start.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,735 posts
250 reviews
6. Re: Kodachrome Basin to Page, AZ?

There are no sensible shortcuts. You’re on vacation. You should not be in a hurry to get anywhere. Just limit your stops between destinations If time is tight.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
11,907 posts
1 review
7. Re: Kodachrome Basin to Page, AZ?

I drove cottonwood canyon road in a rental almost 20 years ago....pretty drive but the road was washvoardy with some pot holes.

You would need to check with ranger station on current consitions---it violates the TOS to drive this road. It doesn't really save you time when you factor in driving 50+ on paved roads vs driving 20 on this road

Reply to: Kodachrome Basin to Page, AZ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted