We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day getaway -- Southern Utah in December??

Boston...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 day getaway -- Southern Utah in December??

Hi 4 friends and I are looking to visit for a long weekend in early December. We are from the East Coast...I honestly don't know much about Utah and would love some guidance here.

What areas of Utah are still warm (we're from Boston...so 50-60s is considered warm) around this time? Would love to be able to do a state park or 2. We are active, like to eat/drink, and would need some spa action.

Was looking at Moab...would this be a good fit?

Thanks in advance!!!

6 replies to this topic
utah
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: 3 day getaway -- Southern Utah in December??

Moab is a great choice for a few days in December. Where would you fly into? (The only concern is if you fly into Salt Lake and we happen to get hit by a major snowstorm travel to Moab could be trick - you could have a similar issue flying into Colorado.)

Another option is fly into Las Vegas and visit Zion, Valley of Fire , and maybe Bryce if the weather is good

Boston...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2. Re: 3 day getaway -- Southern Utah in December??

Yeah I'm not sure about flights yet...snow storms are a risk trying to get out of Boston as well. Thanks for the advice!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,110 posts
249 reviews
3. Re: 3 day getaway -- Southern Utah in December??

Hopefully, you’ve go 3 days, not including flight days. Anyplace you choose in southern UT will be a minimum of 3-4 hours from any airport.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
71 reviews
4. Re: 3 day getaway -- Southern Utah in December??

The average Moab high in December is 45 with a low of 22. The only place you can be fairly sure of warmer temperatures is St George.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: 3 day getaway -- Southern Utah in December??

I'd look towards flying in to Albuquerque and hitting up southeastern Utah i.e. Bluff and the Bears Ears area, and maybe other areas near there. The drive from ABQ to the four corners area is pretty mild, only one mountain pass (Cuba) to worry about.

As for spa action, the indoor pool at the Desert Rose in Bluff is pretty dang nice. I was there last year Thanksgiving weekend and loved it. Perfect hiking weather that weekend too. It can go from nice to cold quickly though.

*Pixie*

Toquerville UT
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
80 reviews
6. Re: 3 day getaway -- Southern Utah in December??

Fly into St George, I think a lot of people overlook this. There are connecting flights from Denver, SLC, Phoenix and LA. Prices have come down considerably. A friend flies almost weekly and she's using St George more and more. Small airport, short security lines, easy car rental.

Base in the St George area, you've got Zion within an hour, Snow Canyon right there. Red Cliffs Reserve is nearby and has good Winter hiking.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 01:00
Reply to: 3 day getaway -- Southern Utah in December??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted