We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The use of Drones

Level Contributor
83 posts
The use of Drones

Guys

I'm travelling to Moab in June. I'd love to get some good aerial photographs using my drone, I am aware most if not all national parks prohibit the use of drones, understandably so. I just wondered if anyone has any ideas of scenic areas that permit the use of drones, in or around the Moab area

Cheers

26 replies to this topic
West Island
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
1. Re: The use of Drones

Keep your drone home, please and thank you

…go.com/US/…

Use a good camera instead ..... like we did in the old days when we didn't have to have all the fluff we've added to our life and we enjoyed the wonders of the world with the naked eye ... just sayin

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,231 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: The use of Drones

I'm not sure of specific areas, but it would be best to find out for sure if it's alright and possibly obtain a permit. Here is a city website to consult. https://www.moabcity.org/index.aspx?NID=425

Correct that drones are not permitted in national parks. State parks are prohibited during this time as well. Concerns are out of privacy, aircraft safety, and protecting wildlife. Some folks were following herds of wild animals and it was startling the wildlife and making them change their behavior and flee the area. Also drones create a significant amount of noise pollution, like a car with loud bass.

When people are out in a remote area enjoying the natural landscape, having a loud machine buzzing around can be infuriating. If you're at a popular area like Corona Arch, Fisher Towers, etc and people are having a moment and you start flying the drone around, they may come have harsh words with you. This is especially true during sunrise and sunset when people are wanting to feel the tranquility of the scene in front of them.

Level Contributor
83 posts
3. Re: The use of Drones

Appreciate all the info....

It's like anything, if it's used irresponsibly your going to upset others and I myself have been irritated by others using them inconsideratley but if used sensibly and as they should be, they can create epic memories that'll last forever.

I won't be using it in an area which may effect the experience others are having hence why I'm putting the research in before I go.

It will definitely be coming with me and I appreciate the constructive advice

Cheers

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,277 posts
248 reviews
4. Re: The use of Drones

personally, they creep me out. Friend of mine was hiking alone and one followed her till she disappeared into a slot for awhile. Very scary. It is a breach of privacy imo with a secondary issue of noise and annoyance.

Mr Wings and I enjoy hiking on public lands where we meet no others. (outside the national parks) I'd be very unhappy to have that solitude disrupted with a drone.

Glad you are respectful. Perhaps check with the chamber of commerce to find areas where they are permitted and not infringing upon people? It's a tough one-

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,354 posts
250 reviews
5. Re: The use of Drones

Please leave your drone at home.

Level Contributor
83 posts
6. Re: The use of Drones

Drones coming with me, there's plenty of space out there in which to use it without anyone else being affected by it. Thanks to those who replied with constructive advice!

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
56 reviews
7. Re: The use of Drones

There should be no worries when using your drone respectfully in places where they are allowed. For me that means going where the people aren't, it is nicer there anyway. But you're going to have to find the places yourself ;)

LA
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
1 review
8. Re: The use of Drones

I don't think it's respectful of the animals and birds, nor of the ethnic ancestors to bring drones into these areas

Edited: 17 April 2018, 05:22
9. Re: The use of Drones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 April 2018, 06:35

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,354 posts
250 reviews
10. Re: The use of Drones

Yeah, too bad for that.

Reply to: The use of Drones
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted