We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking to take my kids snowboarding for Christmas

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
looking to take my kids snowboarding for Christmas

I'm a single mom and I'm looking to take my kids aged 7 and 4 snowboarding - but I'm not sure where to even start looking?

I'm in San Antonio, TX

If you could include prices and costs that would be helpful to me budgeting for the trip.

3 replies to this topic
Dallas
Level Contributor
3,714 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking to take my kids snowboarding for Christmas

Driving or flying? If driving, look at Ruidoso or Red River, NM.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
760 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking to take my kids snowboarding for Christmas

Ski Apache in Ruidosa will be the closest if driving.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 22:43
Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking to take my kids snowboarding for Christmas

Cloudcroft is the southernmost ski area, but like Ruidosa, the presence of recreational snow is unpredictable. So you have to wait and see when and if it starts snowing. The tendency is for the snow to come later recently, and it might be January. That makes it a little difficult to insure a room ahead of time. I have long used Spruce Cabins in Cloudcroft. About $90 for a bed and sleeper sofa. Restaurants in Cloudcroft are very reasonable, like $6 hamburger and fries. Full day lift tickets $45/$35 kids. Board rental $32. I don't do Ruidosa, so I can't speak to that. I'd expect it to maybe be a bit higher. I know the lift tickets are significantly higher, but it's a larger ski complex.

You can make either place in a very long day of driving if you can stand it. You would want to leave well before dawn. And beware that the places where you would usually break your trip, like Fort Stockton, have recently been staying completely booked up and priced very high due to oil and gas activity in West Texas. If you can't leave early enough or drive long enough, try to get as far a Carlsbad so you can get up and tackle the drive up the mountain in daylight. It's good highway, but when it's dark, and you're tired is when the deer (big mule deer) get suicidal.

Reply to: looking to take my kids snowboarding for Christmas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted