We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the Mexican border at Del Rio

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
37 posts
30 reviews
Crossing the Mexican border at Del Rio

Hey Hey, we are visiting Del Rio in 2 months and were also planning to cross the Mexican border. We have a rental so we cant drive there ourselves. I guess a taxi would be the easiest way? Any do's and / or dont's and tips or tricks? Is it worth it? Looking forward to your answers! Any advice is very welcome! :)

12 replies to this topic
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
134 reviews
1. Re: Crossing the Mexican border at Del Rio

My advice is don't do it. There is nothing left in Cd. Acuna to appeal to tourists. Most of the shops and restaurants that used to be located along Ave. Miguel Hidalgo have long since closed. The bar Ma Crosby's in the George Strait song "Blame it on Mexico" is closed. Manuel's Steakhouse moved to Del Rio.

The US State department has a "Level 3: Reconsider Travel" warning posted for the state of Coahuila. https:/…mexico-travel-advisory.html

My husband's family is from Del Rio, and we haven't been across since 2009 due to the violence and crime in Cd. Acuna. It's just not worth the risk anymore.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,204 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Crossing the Mexican border at Del Rio

I would agree with ChristieP. Although the odds are in your favor that nothing will happen, if you have no reason to cross other than a tourist's curiosity I would think it best to skip altogether.

Having said that there are multiple threads on the forum of people recently going across and enjoying themselves, even some who stay in hotels across the border. You can search for them yourself and decide. And yes, there are taxis that will take you across. Definitely do not drive your rental across!

Bastrop, Texas
Level Contributor
941 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Crossing the Mexican border at Del Rio

If you are curious about a Mexican border town, my recommendation would be Boquillas del Carmen. This requires a trip to Big Bend National Park. To get there you cross the Rio Grande by row boat or walking if the river is low enough and walk, pay for a ride, or pay for a mule into Boquillas. That is probably the least risky way to see a Mexican border town.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
37 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Crossing the Mexican border at Del Rio

Thank you all. That is clear! :)

I do go to Big Bend National Park. I have a full day to explore and the next day we go with a tour on a boat before we leave for Marathon. If you go to Boquillas del Carmen, will that take the whole day? Of do you have time enough to see the Santa Elena Canyon too and do a short hike / drive a scenic drive?

Bastrop, Texas
Level Contributor
941 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Crossing the Mexican border at Del Rio

You need a half day for Boquillas, but it doesn't sound like you have enough time in the Big Bend area as it is. The legal border crossing is only open certain days and hours, so you have to time that as well. If I were you, I'd just focus on the stuff on this side of the border.

MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: Crossing the Mexican border at Del Rio

Depending on your itinerary your best bet for a trip over the border is Nuevo Progresso .

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,204 posts
76 reviews
7. Re: Crossing the Mexican border at Del Rio

The trip to Boquillas is unique and definitely worth doing. I would say 4-5 hours is more than enough. Do check days and times as mentioned.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
37 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Crossing the Mexican border at Del Rio

Thanks so much. I am planning on doing it.

The 1st Day we Will arrive Early in the afternoon from Marfa and Will then do the Ross’ Maxwell scenic drive and santa Elena canyon. Then the next morning on the 2nd Day we take half a Day for boquillas del carmen and Will spend the rest of the Day in Big Bend (perhaps part of the lost mine trail depending on the time we have left). The next morning, 3rd Day, we have a River boat Tour for half a say. Afterwards we’ll leave for Marathon.

Does this sound okay and doable?

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,204 posts
76 reviews
9. Re: Crossing the Mexican border at Del Rio

Do note the border crossing to Boquillas is not open every day:

Hours of Operation:

Summer

9:00 am–6:00 pm, Friday through Monday. (as of May 13, 2018)

Winter:

8:00 am–5:00 pm, Wednesday through Sunday.

Yes, your plan looks doable.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
37 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: Crossing the Mexican border at Del Rio

Thanks. Happy to hear it is doable and I Will be there during the weekend so that is perfect. :)

Reply to: Crossing the Mexican border at Del Rio
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted