We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel recommendation New Braunfels early Sept

leicester
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
hotel recommendation New Braunfels early Sept

anyone recommend a conveniently located hotel close to amenities and ideally within walking distance of a few bars/restaurants or best area to stay in ?

also any recommendations of good places to eat?

looking at a budget below $100/night

thanks

7 replies to this topic
Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: hotel recommendation New Braunfels early Sept

You are going to have to rethink. New Braunfels is a popular destination, for one thing. For another, the good restaurants and bars and such are either downtown or in the Gruene Historical District, and neither area is thick with hotels, and those that are there are priced accordingly. Most motels are clustered on the interstate highway near the intersection of Loop 337, and those aren't waling distance from anything but chain restaurants and fast food. And even there, I doubt you're going to find anything under $100. You might find Airbnb in New Braunfels for under $100, but not walking distance to what you want.

If you want to stay in New Braunfels without a car, I think you will have to increase your budget. My rough guess is $200 - $500 for downtown or Gruene. If you have a car, you can meet your budget in San Antonio, possibly San Marcos, or AirBnB away from centre New Braunfels.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
134 reviews
2. Re: hotel recommendation New Braunfels early Sept

Hotels under $100 a night in a tourist area are suspect regarding cleanliness and security.

I’ve stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in New Braunfels and it was excellent. But it was over $100 per night, and it wasn’t within walking distance from any restaurants.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
790 reviews
3. Re: hotel recommendation New Braunfels early Sept

Agree with the prior posts about prices for places within a decent distance of downtown New Braunfels or Gruene. Stayed in the Lambs Rest in Gruene last summer and with taxes it was $200 a night and that was not on a weekend. You really need a car to see and enjoy New Braunfels,it is not like San Antonio where you can get by without one.

MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: hotel recommendation New Braunfels early Sept

I stayed at the Sleep Inn and Suites for about $80 and it was fine. It was perfectly clean and I had no issues about security.

You need a car to get to these eateries but I recommend The Buttermilk Cafe for breakfast or lunch and Coopers BBQ for lunch/dinner

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,192 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: hotel recommendation New Braunfels early Sept

I agree with the above... Any decent hotel within walking distance of nice enough eateries and watering holes will run you over $100. If you stay along the I-35 corridor there you can get rooms for less but will definitely be needing a car. We have stayed at the Hampton Inn and it is showing an advanced purchase rate of $82 which with tax is near $95/night. There are plenty fast food places available and you are a $5-6 Uber ride from the Gruene Historical District or downtown.

leicester
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: hotel recommendation New Braunfels early Sept

Sorry for confusion we will have a car. The comment re walking was more down to being able to have few beers of an evening and not need to drive. but there’s always cabs

I get the fact that any hotel in the middle of tourist areas will be expensive but certainly not looking for $500 a night luxury. Our 14 day budget won’t run to that.

Thanks MJT. Looking for that kind of stay. Buttermilk comes up a lot in posts so defo check out and thanks for advice on bbq. Can’t wait for some great meat

MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: hotel recommendation New Braunfels early Sept

if you're going to Coopers BBQ pop a couple of doors down to Billys Ice House for a few beers and some good music.

Fork and Spoon is another good place for breakfast/lunch.

Reply to: hotel recommendation New Braunfels early Sept
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted