We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving through Amarillo going to Santa Fe

Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Driving through Amarillo going to Santa Fe

We will be driving from GA to NM in September on I-40. I would like to drive past Amarillo for about 30 min to an hour before stopping for the night. Looking at the map, I can't seem to find a location with lodging. Do you have a suggestion for a good stopping point west of Amarillo before Tucumcari, NM? Or is there suggested lodging on the west side of Amarillo that would give us a quicker start in the a.m?

Special Offer
Space Center Houston Admission
1 Review
from US$ 24.95*
US$ 29.95
Best of Austin Small-Group Guided Tour
275 Reviews
from US$ 37.90*
Grand Canyon via Sedona and Navajo...
372 Reviews
from US$ 181.25*
5 replies to this topic
Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Driving through Amarillo going to Santa Fe

As you've no doubt seen, the populated places between Amarillo and Tucumcari range from tiny to not really there at all. Either stay in Amarillo or push on through the additional half hour to Tucumcari. But if it will be coming on dark, and you don't have firm reservations at Tucumcari, stop in Amarillo. If you can't get a room in Tucumcari, you have a long night drive coming through northern New Mexico which is a long night indeed and very, very dark and empty.

I made that mistake once years ago traveling east and intending to stop at Santa Fe, but decided to push on and then south. No traffic to speak of. And then came the big sign: DO NOT PICK UP HITCHIKERS - STATE HOSPITAL FOR THE CRIMINALLY INSANE. Kept on, but nothing in Tucumcari, either. Long night.

Let's let someone with more current experience suggest something in Amarillo.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
476 posts
383 reviews
2. Re: Driving through Amarillo going to Santa Fe

We have stayed in Amarillo previously and will stay again during our road trip in September. We visited Cadillac Ranch and ate at the Big Texan.

We have also stayed in Tumcumcari and my advice would be chose Amarillo.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,352 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Driving through Amarillo going to Santa Fe

19Nurse - what were the downsides to Tucumcari?

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
476 posts
383 reviews
4. Re: Driving through Amarillo going to Santa Fe

Nothing much there to be honest. One street town kind of place. We were staying in a much recommended R66 motel. It was ok but we did wish we'd swerved the place and gone on. We haven't returned but we have to Amarillo because we've gone to nearby places - Palo Duro Canyons, Cadillac Ranch and Big Texan.

Amarillo, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Driving through Amarillo going to Santa Fe

Vega,Tx has a days inn. It’s right at 30 min past Amarillo.

Edited: 13 August 2018, 09:04
Reply to: Driving through Amarillo going to Santa Fe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted