We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carlsbad to Fort Worth Drive

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
50 reviews
Carlsbad to Fort Worth Drive

We are from the UK and planning a road trip next April through New Mexico. We are probably going to finish the NM part of the trip around Carlsbad (to see the caverns and Roswell) before heading to Dallas Fort Worth to fly home. Ideally we don't want to do that drive all in one day - could anyone recommend somewhere roughly halfway between the two to stop off? We wouldn't need to be at the airport until late afternoon, so ideally it would be somewhere where there might be something to entertain us for a couple of hours in the morning before heading off. Ideally also somewhere with some decent places to eat, and reasonably priced hotels.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful.

4 replies to this topic
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
134 reviews
1. Re: Carlsbad to Fort Worth Drive

We did that drive last fall on the way home from our road trip to Big Bend/Carlsbad. We stopped in Snyder, TX which is on highway 180 that runs parallel to I-20. Hotels in Snyder were a lot less expensive than along the interstate. We stayed at the Holiday Inn there, and ate dinner at a local restaurant. Alternatively, if you want to do some more touristy things, look at staying in Abilene on I-20. There are plenty of hotels there, and some really good restaurants, along with a few tourist attractions.

Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
2. Re: Carlsbad to Fort Worth Drive

We too stayed in Snyder, Comfort Inn ate at nearby "bbq place". which was not bbq, hard to find behind Waterworks sign and carport. Excellent food and service.

Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
3. Re: Carlsbad to Fort Worth Drive

pardon me. We stayed in Stanton...not Snyder

EJ Cotton Pickin Dive

Edited: 02 August 2018, 22:27
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
789 reviews
4. Re: Carlsbad to Fort Worth Drive

Snyder has a nice La Quinta and if you have time you could visit the Scurry County museum as well.

Reply to: Carlsbad to Fort Worth Drive
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted