We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary: Black Hills/ Custer, Badlands, Grand Tetons, JH

CT
10 posts
Itinerary: Black Hills/ Custer, Badlands, Grand Tetons, JH

Hi,

We are 2 people, in our 60’s and into sightseeing- and wildlife. We have 10 days in late August, or early Sept. Husband has bad knee, so hiking will be minimal.

We are in the early stages of planning and trying to figure out which way to do this loop. We are coming from the east coast. Some of the places we definitely want to see are: Black Hills, Custer State Park, Badlands, Mt Rushmore, some of Yellowstone (OF), Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole.

Hotels: What are good base town(s) for lodging?

Where would a good overnight stop be when heading out to the Tetons from the Black Hills, or can we just drive in a day? While in Grand Teton area, we’d like to stay somewhere with a view of the Tetons and visit Jackson Hole for a day or so. Hotel suggestions?

Airports: Denver airport would have the best flights, but is it feasible given our time frame and proximity to our sites? We are flexible on dates and airports. Also, thoughts on Car rentals i.e. one way?

Thank you all in advance.

5 replies to this topic
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,393 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary: Black Hills/ Custer, Badlands, Grand Tetons, JH

Ten days would probably work since you really won't be doing a lot of hiking,but if your husband is able to walk fairly well, there's lots of easy walks on boardwalks in Yellowstone that take quite a bit of time. To see both the Black Hills and Yellowstone well, it's good to plan for 2 weeks.

If you are able to afford an "open Jaw" trip, I would advise it since it will save time. You could fly into Rapid City and out of Jackson Hole. This is ideal, but expensive. A cheaper option would be to fly into Denver and drive 6 hours to the Black Hills. You can then head to Jackson Hole from there. A good stopping point on the way to Yellowstone from the Black Hills area would be Cody, WY (about 7 hours). Cody is only 50 miles from the east entrance of Yellowstone. You can fly home out of Salt Lake City, about 5 hours from Jackson.

For one way car rentals, check prices carefully as they can be VERY expensive. Only you can decide if it's worthwhile for you.

For a base town in the Black Hills, I'd recommend Hill City for you. Some lodging in Jackson Hole drops in price after Labor Day, so once again, check prices. Jackson is a really nice base for the Tetons.

Let us know how else we can help.

CT
10 posts
2. Re: Itinerary: Black Hills/ Custer, Badlands, Grand Tetons, JH

Thank you. This is very helpful.

Georgia
Level Contributor
107 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary: Black Hills/ Custer, Badlands, Grand Tetons, JH

We are planning almost the same trip in June and are also from the east coast. We will land in Rapid City, SD and rent a minivan from Enterprise located on East North Street in Rapid City. We will take a taxi from the airport to the car rental place. We found the rates are considerably less by renting at this location.

We have reservations at Frontier Cabins (Wall, SD) for the first night and I will be making reservations in the Bavarian Inn for the second and third nights. After spending four days in the Black Hills area, we will drive to Cody and stay at Cody Cowboy Village for two nights. Then it's off to Yellowstone NP for a week (three nights in Roosevelt Cabins and four nights in Old Faithful) and Grand Teton NP (Cowboy Village) for four nights. This will be followed by a drive to the Denver area for a visit with my BIL. We have a red eye flight from Denver. The cost to fly into one airport and out of another was a couple of $100 more; however, we really have an obligation to visit with my BIL.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,393 posts
61 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary: Black Hills/ Custer, Badlands, Grand Tetons, JH

If you don't mind doing it, you can typically find much cheaper rates if you rent "off airport." Drop off fees are typically less as well.

CT
10 posts
5. Re: Itinerary: Black Hills/ Custer, Badlands, Grand Tetons, JH

Thank you!

Reply to: Itinerary: Black Hills/ Custer, Badlands, Grand Tetons, JH
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted