We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info on a couple of beaches

Wheeling, West...
Level Contributor
42 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Info on a couple of beaches

am still trying to decide on a vacation. I want white sand (if poss) Packed down sand. I want to be able to find some shells and teeth (youngest loves that) SURF fishing is a big one for hubby and the boys. They love to surf fish and wanted to make sure the area had good surf fishing. We usually do OBX. I was debating over Ocean Isle, Holden, topsail, Garden City SC or Folly beach SC. Do not like the VA beach or Myrtle over crowded areas. Thanks in advance.

Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Garden
Gardens, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Zoos
Middleton Place
Historic Sites, Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
35 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info on a couple of beaches

Well for my money for what you are saying you enjoy you can't beat OBX.

But you already know about that. So for what you are mentioning in SC I think the best beach to find sells that is fairly easy to get to is Edisto Beach State Park. They have a fairly wide beach nice sand and lots of shells.

Botany Bay sciway.net/sc-photos/…botany-bay.html

is also a very nice place to go shelling plus its not very well known.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info on a couple of beaches

Edisto Beach for shells and surf fishing.

Folly Beach for surf fishing.

Kiawah, Seabrook, or Sullivans Island for white packed down sand.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info on a couple of beaches

You will not find white sand in the Carolinas. Garden City/Surfside area and North Myrtle Beach area are very wide and flat during low tide. The beaches you mentioned in N. Carolina are generally more sloped and choppy. We find sharks teeth and decent shells on every visit (Cherry Grove section of NMB), though you have to sort through mostly broken shells.

Surf fishing is done in North Myrtle and Garden City during off periods. Would not suggest doing this during the busy summer months, though there are several fishing piers.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info on a couple of beaches

White sand is mostly quartz:

visitstpeteclearwater.com/articles/how-our-w…

Sand here is crushed shells. It's packed down out where the tides go in and out. It's less packed where the water doesn't wash over it.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info on a couple of beaches

No white sand here (in SC), but the sand is tan and wonderful to walk on, can't complain in the least!!! There are many beaches w/miles of beautiful, wide beaches, it all depends upon your wants/needs and your budget.

Wheeling, West...
Level Contributor
42 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info on a couple of beaches

Thank you everyone! The packed down sand thing is me...I have Rhuematoid Arthritis and it is much easier to walk on. :) My husband doesn't surf fish during the day. It is always early in the AM or evening. OBX is great at that time of the day. I just wanted to try a different beach. Palm trees or Palmettos. :) We were debating Florida but I am not up to traveling that far. Thanks for your info!!!! Hopefully I will decide soon.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Info on a couple of beaches

I have seen people surf fishing in the evenings in both Surfside Beach and Garden City.

Last year, my wife and I ran the beach several times and we saw people surf fishing north of Surfside Beach in the mid-morning. (This may have been at Myrtle Beach State Park.)

Would Pawleys Island fit the requirements? It has been a few years since I was there but as I recall, the beach was similar to Garden City and did not have many people. Just be aware not all places in Pawleys Island have air conditioning.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
26 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info on a couple of beaches

Topsail Beach NC on Topsail Island has nice shells. Stay south on the island. Less crowds, beautiful.

Charleston
Level Contributor
468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Info on a couple of beaches

FYI, it is illegal to remove shells from Botany Bay.

10. Re: Info on a couple of beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 21:11