We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood and fishing around Fripp Island

South Portland...
Level Contributor
91 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Seafood and fishing around Fripp Island

We will be staying a week on Fripp the middle of July. We have spent a lot of time in the Port Royal area but this will be our first on Fripp. Can you tell me the best place that is close to buy fresh seafood to prepare, what will be the best fish to buy this time of year, and any ideas where to fish, crab, etc on the island. I usually go to 13th Street Dock but that seems a little far. I remember a place across the street form the Shrimp Shack but have never found it open. Also any road side stands for fresh vegetables and fruit.

Thanks

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seafood and fishing around Fripp Island

Hi nmballetmom,

The best place to buy seafood is actually on the way out to Fripp Island at the Gay Fish Company (from downtown Beaufort, about 12 miles on US 21, 2 miles before Harbor River bridge). The shop is open from 9-6 Monday-Saturday. They typically have fresh shrimp, scallops, crab, and a variety of seasonal fish. I can tell you for sure shrimp and scallops are in season at the moment, though I'm not certain about other fish.

As for crabbing on Fripp, there are a couple of locations I recommend. One spot is at the end of Blue Gill Road, in the vicinity of the marina. We've had lots of luck there in years past. Other spots include the Bonito Road bridge, the bike path bridge connecting Tarpon Blvd with the Marsh Dunes neighborhood, and Paradise Pier on the south end of Hunting Island.

2. Re: Seafood and fishing around Fripp Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2010, 12:48