We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

myrtle beach vs. hilton head vs. virginia beach

forest park, il
2 posts
myrtle beach vs. hilton head vs. virginia beach

here goes, i'm a single male justy looking to get away to somewhere new. While I have traveled extensively I have never been to this area and think it woudl be fun. I basically will walk around eat very well and shop. Will go to the beach but not for long periods. comparing Myrtle to hilton to Virginia. Any suggestions, also looking for a resort to stay in. Thanks.

Best Seller
Charleston’s Old South Carriage...
736 Reviews
from US$ 26.00*
Best Seller
Charleston Harbor History Tour
461 Reviews
from US$ 27.56*
Ghosts of Charleston Tour
94 Reviews
from US$ 25.00*
Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
282 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: myrtle beach vs. hilton head vs. virginia beach

Between Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head, I'd choose Hilton Head any day. Myrtle Beach is tacky commercial, sort of like a big amusement park. Hilton Head tends to be crowded in the summer, but it's a totally different scene, much more laid back. I think the food and shopping is much better in Hilton Head as well, that is if you're shopping for more than cheap souvenirs.

Although I used to live in Virginia, I've never been to Virginia Beach, so I can't really comment on it. If you go to Hilton Head, don't miss the seafood buffet at the Westin.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: myrtle beach vs. hilton head vs. virginia beach

I've been to VA Beach once, and it's probably not worth coming all the way from Illinois to visit. Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head are totally different places. Myrtle is mostly families, amusement parks, nightclubs, shopping, tacky tourist attractions, etc. Hilton Head is more natural, upscale and much more relaxing. The beach at Hilton Head is great, but there's not much nightlife at all. So if you want to relax and see a beautiful beach, you can go to Hilton Head, if you want to party it up, then head to Myrtle Beach.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
31 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: myrtle beach vs. hilton head vs. virginia beach

You should stay in Charleston. Lot's ao great shops, bars, restaurants, and great night life. Isle of Palms and Sullivans Island beach's are only 10 minutes away from downtown. The other resorts are more for families - you'll have a much better time in Charleston, and still have the beach.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
433 reviews
4. Re: myrtle beach vs. hilton head vs. virginia beach

I lived in VA. Beach area for 2 years. What a sorry place. We went to the beach maybe 5 or 6 times the whole 2 years. I wouldn't recommend it over MB or HH.