We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

myrtle beach vs. hilton head vs. virginia beach

forest park, il
2 posts
Save Topic
myrtle beach vs. hilton head vs. virginia beach

here goes, i'm a single male justy looking to get away to somewhere new. While I have traveled extensively I have never been to this area and think it woudl be fun. I basically will walk around eat very well and shop. Will go to the beach but not for long periods. comparing Myrtle to hilton to Virginia. Any suggestions, also looking for a resort to stay in. Thanks.

Alexandria
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: myrtle beach vs. hilton head vs. virginia beach

Mike,

Obviously Hilton Head is the farthest away but is the most upscale; beautiful, clean beaches, shelling, and a little more isolated if you're looking for relaxation. Myrtle Beach is a long strip of development with lots of restaurants and more night-life and lots of hotel choices. The beaches are broad and flat and very nice. Virginia Beach is the one nearest any major metropolitan area (Norfolk, etc.) and while it can be nice (there is a nice new mall fairly close, etc, it isn't as relaxing. The beach is also more sloped/less broad. I get the feeling I'm in New Jersey when I go there; a crowded feeling. I'm new here, too ... used to live here in the past and went to college in North Carolina so I know the beaches pretty well. If you're single, you would probably like Myrtle Beach the best: lots of golf, stuff to do, etc.

VIRGINIA BEACH
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: myrtle beach vs. hilton head vs. virginia beach

I am the innkeeper for Barclay Cottage B&B in Virginia Beach. We are two blocks from the beach in a neighborhood. From here we can walk to 22 restaurants, one of them a 4 star. Until August 31 there is free entertainment on every block from 17th St. to 24th St. on Atlantic Ave., which runs along the ocean. It includes anything from jazz to magic shows, etc. You may want to go to our website and follow the links to many many local attractions and take our virtual tour. Wherever you go, have a wonderful time.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: myrtle beach vs. hilton head vs. virginia beach

I don't know Virginia Beach, but I know the other two beaches you mentioned.

Myrtle and Hilton Head are night-and-day different. If you want neon and Southern kitsch, head for Myrtle. It is busy and crowded and has "been around". Lots of families go there, but there is plenty of nightlife too. Getting in and out is difficult, with quite a distance to the Interstate. You will see almost as many miniature golf courses as the regular golf courses for which Myrtle Beach is famous.

Hilton Head is newer, more elegant and moves at a quieter pace. It is not overly expensive to visit, but you can tell "there is money there". Ordinances are written into laws that control street setback, sign height and the like. So instead of neon everywhere, you see more of the moss-draped Live Oaks and Pines for which the SC Lowcountry is famous. I don't remember seeing any miniature golf courses at all. There is horseback riding, canoeing and walking/biking trails. Lots of regular golf there too. We stayed on the beach at the Westin and loved it. But I wouldn't go there just for the nightlife.

Georgetown
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: myrtle beach vs. hilton head vs. virginia beach

mike, having grown up in va beach (living on 69th st and ocean ave), and now residing in SC, living between myrtle beach and charleston (georgetown to be exact),and based on what i read (and not knowing your age), consider Litchfield or Pawleys Island...nice beaches (huntington beach state park is one of the nicest on the east coast i think) w/o all the tourists and congestion, interesting shopping, some incredible restaurants, yet far enough away from all the neon of myrtle beach..you didn't mention what time of year you were looking to go. also pawleys is still close enough to take a day trip to charleston (well worth the time if you wanted). golf great history etc. try litchfield or pawleys plantation for resort visit.

hilton head is nice..pricey..and the farthest away of all.