We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 day itinerary

new jersey
Level Contributor
64 posts
29 reviews
14 day itinerary

My husband and I are traveling to Oregon 9/3/16 to 9/17/16. My husband has low vision but I still want to take him to the Columbia river and mt. hood scenic byways. Also want to see Crater Lake National park and then the coastline. My thought was to start with Columbia river and mt hood scenic byways and work my way down to Crater lake then to the coast. What I could use is some help for the best routes to take with some nice scenery, river hikes, etc. that are low vision friendly. Here is my itinerary so far: Day 2: drive to Troutdale to Columbia River scenic byway, stop by Hood River and continue from there to the Mt. Hood scenic byway and stay at Timberline lodge.

Day 3: drive to Redmond or Bend and stay overnight, explore either town.

Day 4: Drive the McKenzie Pass scenic byway, hike to Sahalie falls and Koosah Falls. then back to either Redmond or Bend.

Day 5: Drive to Crater Lake National park and drive the rim. Stay overnight somewhere as the Lodge is booked solid.

Day 6: Drive towards Union Creek to follow the northern part of the Roque-Umpqua scenic byway to Bandon or Drive towards Union Creek to follow the southern part of the Roque-Umpqua byway to Brookings. Need recommendations here to which would be better. Stay overnight.

Day 7: Start the drive up the Oregon coast, stopping at places along the way until day 10 ending in either Cannon Beach or Astoria.

Day 11 Explore Williamette Valley wineries on the way to Portland. Stay in Portland until Day 14.

Any recommendations along the coastal route or the wineries as to where to stay and what to see would be greatly appreciated.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
200 reviews
1. Re: 14 day itinerary

I am supposing that on Day 4 you're planning to do a loop combining the McKenzie Hwy (126) and the Old McKenzie Hwy (242). My suggestion would be to start out on the 20/126 westward and stop at both Clear Lake Resort for a look at the lake and then go a couple miles farther to Sahalie Falls (no hiking necessary since it's right on the hwy). You can hike down to Koosah Falls from there, but keep In mind if you're not doing a car shuttle you have to hike back up to Sahalie Falls. You could go directly to Koosah and hike up to Sahalie and return downhill to Koosah.

You'll run into the turnoff on 242 and you might want to stop for a short hike to see beautiful Proxy Falls. Then take your time along the winding road up into the lava fields. You'll get your best views of the Three Sisters going this way. Stop at Dee Wright Observatory to see all the peaks from Hood to Diamond (on a clear day). Then you can stop in Sisters on your way back to Bend/Redmond.

new jersey
Level Contributor
64 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: 14 day itinerary

yes, that was my thought, to go from Sisters west on 126 onto 242 back to Sisters. Thanks for the tips on Proxy falls and to stop by the Clear Lake resort.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,430 posts
142 reviews
3. Re: 14 day itinerary

You should easily be able to take him from the viewing area up to the bridge at Multnomah Falls. It is paved and just .5 mile walk.

I think Timberline will be good too.

MrsO

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,550 posts
1,111 reviews
4. Re: 14 day itinerary

Click on the link below to find a TripAdvisor Traveler Article that will give you information about lodging around Crater Lake. The are lodging options other than CL Lodge. I would book ahead:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g143020-c220956/Crate…

>> to follow the southern part of the Roque-Umpqua byway to Brookings.<<

Not sure exactly where you mean? There is only one road to & from Brookings, and that is Highway 101 along the coast. Do you mean Hwy 199 that dips south into California to Crescent City, then joins 101?

Edited: 20 January 2016, 07:46
new jersey
Level Contributor
64 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: 14 day itinerary

Thanks for the link to accomodations around Crater Lake. I have changed my itinerary and will be coming down 101 to Florence, then to Eugene to Roseburg. I've given my self 3 days from Astoria to Florence, staying at Cannon beach 1 night and Florence 2 nights. I figure on driving from Florence to Eugene, stay overnight and then onto Crater Lake and stay at the cabins. Not sure if I should stay 1 or 2 nights at Crater Lake. From there I will drive to Bend to drive the McKenzie highway staying overnight in Bend. Is it worth to stay 2 nights in Bend to see both Bend and the Mckenzie highway? Still working on the rest of the Itinerary, but I am back in Portland for the last 3 days.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: 14 day itinerary

I suggest you wait until Reedsport to turn inland unless you want to be in Eugene for some reason

new jersey
Level Contributor
64 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: 14 day itinerary

thanks, after looking at a map, that is exactly what I did, and will take the Umpqua River scenic byway to Sutherlin then to Roseburg to the Rogue-Umpqua Scenic byway and then overnight by Crater Lake.

new jersey
Level Contributor
64 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: 14 day itinerary

My updated Itinerary has left me with 2 days before I need to be in Portland. Am thinking of driving from Eugene to do the Silver Falls route and then possibly the Vineyard and Valley tour route. any recommendations as to where to stay along any of these routes?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,550 posts
1,111 reviews
9. Re: 14 day itinerary

So from the Crater Lake area you will have one night and two days before you need to be in Portland?

new jersey
Level Contributor
64 posts
29 reviews
10. Re: 14 day itinerary

Sorry, no, am going from crater lake to bend for 2 nights. Then to Eugene for 1 night. What I thought of seeing were the silver falls and from there go to Sherwood and do a vineyard and valleys tour. This is where I would like to know where I could stay in the area, what would be worth seeing and doing. I have 2 nights before I need to be in Portland. Thanks!