We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive Time

Auburn Hills...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Drive Time

My husband and I are planning a driving trip that will start in San Francisco taking Hwy. 1/101 through Oregon with our final destination being Seattle. Any suggestions on site seeing and how much time should we allow to travel through Oregon. We are not in a big hurry, maybe taking two days. Is that reasonable?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
200 reviews
1. Re: Drive Time

Assuming you will be spending a night in the redwoods area (Eureka /Arcata /Trinidad, we usually recommend three days up the Oregon coast to Portland. Routing in the north could vary, depending on whether you wanted to include the Willamette wine district. With more information on your particular interests, things you'd like to do en route and how many hours driving per day you're comfortable with we could be more specific with our recommendations.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Drive Time

Two days? SF to Portland. sounds like you are in a hurry, specially if you are including Cal-1. I would add one more day for sure and preferably 2 days

Auburn Hills...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Drive Time

Actually we want to travel to Seattle. Seattle is not that far from Portland so I'm thinking it is doable. Our plan right now is to spend two days one night in San Francisco, travel up the coast and eventually end up in Seattle. We are looking at 7 or eight days.

Renton, Washington
Level Contributor
5,169 posts
4. Re: Drive Time

When we visit our kids int he Bay area we allow a minimum of three days...four if we use the coast route. Our son has made it up here in 14 hours on his motorcycle, but that was I-5 all the way. IMHO allowing only two days is asking for a grind, not a pleasant drive.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,178 posts
6,438 reviews
5. Re: Drive Time

Two days is NOT reasonable if you want to do sightseeing. You will want 4 days to get to Seattle especially if yo do sightseeing. If you just wanted to drive to Seattle and not see anything, you would take the I-5 as that is the fastest route to Seattle.

If you want to do the coastal route you will want to spend more time seeing the sights of the redwoods, the coast, and onto to Seattle. It also depends how far up the coast you want to go in Oregon. There are various routes form the Coast to I-5 that can also make the trip faster if you want.

You are correct that the time from Portland to Seattle is fairly short. Its 4 1/2 hours or so. If you did the coast, you could also drive the back roads from the coast. We recently went to Astoria which is superb with the Columbia River (more like a bay when it flows into the Pacific Ocean), Lewis and Clark National Parks, the superb Maritime Museum in Astoria, and more. We found if you take the back roads from Astoria to Seattle it takes about the same amount of time (actually since its further north it took us less) to get to Seattle.

So you will want to decide how far up the coast you want to go in Oregon.

The places we like for the drive for the night are:

1) You can get as far as Crescent City in one day, but then you would miss a lot of the redwood area. As such as mentioned above, Trinidad is very nice place to stay. Its along the coast, a small maritime community with redwoods.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g33188-Trinidad_Humb…

Some of the things to see on the drive north are

1) Avenue of the Giants - parallel road to 101 with scenic redwoods. It won't take you much more time unless you stop. There is a short founders' trail in the redwoods to take which I always find interesting.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g28926-d27…

(Note: There are some tiny towns in this area and other attractions).

2) Prarie Creek State Park - around this area one can usually find an elk herd; ask the rangers if yo cannot find them yourself.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32830-d14…

3) Trees of Mystery - take a photo with Babe and the Blue Ox

https://www.treesofmystery.net/

4) Requa Road - short road to where the Klamath River flows in the pacific (if too foggy you might want to skip, but if just high fog, still stunningly scenic

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32564-d24…

5) Crescent City - harbor and lighthouse

6) A short drive east from Crescent City is Jedidiah Smith State Park

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60944-d11…

After this you get into Oregon. It will depend how sunny, foggy, cool, or rainy it is on the coast how much time you spend seeing the spectacular lighthouses, scenic parks, etc. in Oregon. I would plan two nights along th coast in Oregon, perhaps Astoria for the last night.

Some of the other things to see along the coast are

1) the sand dune areas

2) Tillamook Cheese Factory; Blue Heron perhaps for lunch (if you drive through that area about that time)

3) Cannon Beach Area

4) tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g51867-d59…

The state parks and scenic byways and lighthouses is where you will spend most of the time along the coast. Rogue River area is also interesting. There are various touristy attractions - we've done them but personally I like the natural beauty more. Astoria area is an exception to this. Some of the towns such as Cannon Beach, old town Florence, etc. are nice to go to and make for good dining areas if you are driving through when its meal time.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
200 reviews
6. Re: Drive Time

Note to mini: you consistently give the wrong driving time between Portland and Seattle. It's 3 hours, NOT 4 1/2.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,896 posts
102 reviews
7. Re: Drive Time

I have to agree with oregonpoppa on the drive time. We live in both areas and make the drive every singe week and have for years. Three hours is the norm between the two cities.

Auburn Hills...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Drive Time

Thank you for your response, it was most helpful, I think we are looking taking 2 nights, three days to drive from San Francisco to Astoria. We haven't exactly figured out what we will do from there. We just know that we have to catch a red eye flight on Saturday, October 31 in Seattle Again, your post has been especially helpful.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
389 reviews
9. Re: Drive Time

Um, Poppa. I believe Mini prefers to drive 40 mph. :-)

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
809 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Drive Time

Hi Debby D

Forget Highway 1

1st day/night

Up 101 to, or north of Eureka (Crescent City, Brookings)

2nd day/night

Up 101 to Newport

3rd day

into Astoria

This will not be fun

Take care

GP