We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuyahoga Valley NP

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Cuyahoga Valley NP

Have a day to kill in Cleveland, in a couple of weeks. We have our own transportation. Is there enough to do at this NP for a full day? Hiking? Good scenery? The NP web site was a bit sparse on details.

thanks...

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuyahoga Valley NP

A beautiful park that walks along the Erie Canal with various stops and gorgeous scenery. Try this website for more information:

www.dayinthevalley.com

There is a "tow path" trail that follows along the Cuyahoga River where the mules used to pull the barges, there are bits of history and stories along the tow path. There are also horseback riding and bike trails too. Close by is Virginia Kendall park, which is great for hiking.

Penisula is a very pleasant little town located near the Park.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuyahoga Valley NP

Thanks for that. Guess we'll head there for the day, after a quick stop at Aurora Farms Outlets.. Where is the best place to enter the park, parking, etc?

thanks

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuyahoga Valley NP

You shouldn't have much of a problem with parking or entering the park. You could park as far north as Rockside Road where the Cuyahoga Scenic Railroad has a stop - www.cvsr.com - or start at Brecksville or Penninsula. Since you are going to the outlets, you could take Route 82 west towards Brecksville, park at the area off Riverview Road - south of 82, and walk the tow path.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cuyahoga Valley NP

Thanks for the info!

Westmont nj
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cuyahoga Valley NP

Heading to Willoughby for a wedding this weekend. How close to the exit 218 off the turnpike is this area> We wer thinking of lunch on the river on our way through Friday? Any thoughts. or better ideas. Shopping sounds better but I doubt my in laws will bite on that one. Sigh for me as you shop ozcanuck hold your new purchase to the sky and think she couldn't even stop to shop.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cuyahoga Valley NP

The closest exit off the turnpike to the park is Exit 180 - Route 8 in Boston Heights. I believer that exit 218 is Youngstown which is about one hour east of Exit 180. If you are heading to Willoughby, is there a reason you are stopping in Youngstown???

Cleveland East...
Level Contributor
37 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cuyahoga Valley NP

The NP is also linked to the Metro Parks. If you like to bicycle this is the a great path but it does get busy. There is even a bike and ride train option. One way on train with bike $2.00 and either ride back or ride out and bike back.

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
537 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cuyahoga Valley NP

Well, the turnpike's exit numbers are also mile markers so #218 to #180 is 38 miles which is just over a 1/2 hour.

If taking I-80 from NJ and heading to Willoughby, I would assume they are planning to take the I-480 exit which is #187...so Rt 8 for the National Park is just seven more miles. Once off the exit they need to find a nice place to sit and have lunch.

If you are looking for a restaurant with dining near the river, there are Fishers and Winking Lizard in Peninsula off of Rt 303 just south of the I-80/Rt 8 interchange (maybe ten minutes away)...

...but if you plan to picnic I would take Hines Hill Road West from Rt 8 (just north of the interchange) and that would take you right down near the Towpath museum and that would be a nice place to sit and lunch along the canal...

...or even better (sorry thinking as I write)...take that same Hines Hill Road West to Olde 8 (it's the first intersection), turn right and a quick fork left on to Brandywine Road. A couple of miles down on your left is Brandywine Falls which would be an excellent place to picnic!!!

Getting to Willoughby from there is a breeze, just go back to Rt 8 and take it North for a couple of miles and there is an entrance to I-271 North which takes you right up to the Willoughby area.

9. Re: Cuyahoga Valley NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 15:49