We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Murfreesboro Inn, NC

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
353 posts
13 reviews
2 helpful votes
Murfreesboro Inn, NC

Hi

I am travelling to Virginia in June and am planning a trip to murfreesboro to see where my partners Dad is from.

The only accomidation I can find is Murfeesboro Inn although I can find no reviews or contact info. Anybody know it or know the area.

My other option seems to be Franklin which seems fairly close.

Any help appreciated

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Murfreesboro Inn, NC

Hi: I think you must be referring to Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Your proper forum should then be on the Tennessee board. Good Luck!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
353 posts
13 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Murfreesboro Inn, NC

Thanks for the reply

Its definetly in NC its south of Richmond, Va and east of Roanoke Rapids, NC.

Just a small town tho. Surrounding towns are Franklin and Ahoskie.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Murfreesboro Inn, NC

But, then again, there is a very small town with the same name in North Carolina. Check this website:http://www.trails.com/all-hotels/city-hotel.aspx?dest=NC+Murfreesboro

I think that the only accommodations would be nearby.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Murfreesboro Inn, NC

Hope that helps!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
353 posts
13 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Murfreesboro Inn, NC

Thanks for the site just having a look now.

None of the bigger sites where even showing Murfreesboro so it must be the back of beyond lol.

Thanks

James

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Murfreesboro Inn, NC

If you find something that interests you, welcome to North Carolina!

David

Virginia
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
55 helpful votes
7. Re: Murfreesboro Inn, NC

This is really an interesting story...well, for history types. It seems the two Murfreesboros are related.

Here's the scoop if I have it all in order.

In 1746 150 acres on the Merherrin River in NC, part of the first known deeded property in the area, was sold to an Irish immigrant, William Murfree from Nansemond County, Va. (Nansemond County is now what is called extinct. it was known as Nansemond County from 1646 to 1972 which it became the city of Nansemond. Then in 1974 it merged with the existing city of Suffolk. )

So this 150 acres along the river deeded to William Murfree became Murfree's Landing. The General Assembly designated is a "King's Landing" where imports and exports were inspected by King's men.

In 1781, this William's son, Hardy Murfree, led a local militia in fighting off British forces near Murfree's Landing.

Back to dad, William Murfree. He contributed 97 acres surrounding Murfree's Landing in 1787 to form a town. The town was chartered by the General Assembly and renamed Murfreesboro Jan. 6, 1787.

In 1790 Murfreesboro was designated by Congress an official port of entry, with trade with New England and the West Indies.

Now back to the son. This son, Hardy was born at Murfree's Landing, NC, in 1759, had a big military career during the American Revolutionary War, married, had four children and in 1807 migrated to Williamson County, TN to live on land granted to him after the American Revolution. He died there in 1809. In 1811 The Tennessee State Legislature renamed the town of Cannonsburgh Murfreesboro in his honor.

The Murfrees continued to be famous. There's a Murfree Cemetery near Franklin TN.

You will probably want to contact the Murfreesboro Historical Association for info. Amazing how much info the right person can give on generations of family in an area. http://www.murfreesboronc.org/ If someone is there when you write or visit who is not knowledgeable you can ask them who in town would know what you need to know. It need not be an employee. We have gotten some great info from all kinds of neighbors and residents when we had historic homes in other cities.

You might also contact this blogger ... and even the russ who gives his email address. His family seems to cover some significant areas. http://murfreesboronc.blogspot.com/2008/05/hello-long-lost-blogging-friend.html

I think there's still a b&b in Murfreesboro NC with reasonable rates. Very often b&b owners are well versed in the history of their area and love sharing it. http://www.bbonline.com/nc/barneshouse/

This one isn't far...don't know their rates. http://www.cutawhiskeybb.com/index.htm

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
353 posts
13 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Murfreesboro Inn, NC

Thanks for that info its amazing we are going over there to find out about my partners heritage we live in Northern Ireland and the town was founded by an Irish immigrant.

Virginia
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
55 helpful votes
9. Re: Murfreesboro Inn, NC

Yes, I saw you were from Belfast and thought that might be one thing that drew your partner's dad. Now, I don't know if you know about how names change from/to what they once were...so that Murfree could be a version of Murphy. I wonder if we could find out what county Murfree came from. (I now some people say "Ireland" when they might more specifically say "Northern Ireland")

10. Re: Murfreesboro Inn, NC

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.