We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which airport should i use if staying near times square??

Antioch, California
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
which airport should i use if staying near times square??

i am traveling for the first time to NYC with my family. we are staying near times square. which airport is best to use? also, we are traveling from NYC to DC on Amtrak....any suggestions?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which airport should i use if staying near times square??

Have you checked out your flight options and which airports those airlines fly to? You should choose the flight that's the cheapest. and/or most convenient (non-stop, what time it leaves, etc.). Just don't fly Southwest to Long Island--that's not worth the savings you might get. Newark, LaGuardia, JFK are all okay.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which airport should i use if staying near times square??

Well, to DC on Amtrak leaves from Penn Station, barely half a mile from Times Square..as far as airport, LGA is closest into the City but EWR works as well w/NJTransit again taking you right into Penn Station from where you can either cab it..walk or transfer to public transport to your hotel! Enjoy!

Long Beach, LI, NY
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which airport should i use if staying near times square??

As stated above, choose the airport that is the least expensive as they all have public transportation to NYC. The easiest option would be JFK in my opinion. You can take the air-train from the terminal to Jamaica which is the main Long Island Rail Road hub. Once at Jamaica, hop on a westbound train to Penn Station. This will take you within walking distance to Times Square. Total trip about an hour depending on train schedules for under $10. Trains run 24/7.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,389 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which airport should i use if staying near times square??

LGA is closest and will be cheapest by taxi, but has the worst (but cheapest) public transportation options ($2.25 per person, but you have to take a city bus to the subway).

JFK has the best public transportation ($7.75 per person, or a little more for the slightly faster option), but is farthest. The yellow taxis are a flat fare to and from the airport - $45 plus toll and tip ($60 total) per taxi, which seats up to four people. (Five if you ask for a minivan cab and they have one.)

Newark has good public transportation, but it's more expensive ($15 per person) than JFK, and we generally recommend a car service like Dial7 instead of a taxi, since NYC taxis don't pick passengers up in Newark.

Ultimately, the differences between the three airports are really marginal. In the end, I recommend picking the flight that is cheapest and/or has the best schedule.

In the future, you should post your questions in the New York City forum. This is the general forum for New York State.

5. Re: which airport should i use if staying near times square??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2011, 12:50