We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hudson valley solo trip

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
Hudson valley solo trip
Save

I am planning a solo week long trip to Hudson valley at the end of October. There are so many nice towns I am having trouble narrowing down where to stay. I am 35 and going for relaxation but also like to be near or in a town with bars and restaurants. I like walking and exploring. Like quaint towns with good food options. Also interested in doing wineries.

Have narrowed down towns to Rhinebeck, new paltz, Hudson, beacon, Kingston, saugerties.

I will be doing 7-8 nights so could do 3-4 spots if needed. What would you suggest?

8 replies to this topic
New York City
Level Contributor
10,597 posts
125 reviews
80 helpful votes
1. Re: Hudson valley solo trip
Save

Id go with Rhinebeck and New Paltz. that way you spend time on both sides of the River

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,10,000 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
2. Re: Hudson valley solo trip
Save

I think you have to do some research on which towns have food choices all week or the days you're thinking of staying. Some towns cater to the weekenders and it may be hard to find places open early or midweek. I remember reading a trip report last year on staying in Hudson and they said some places close Mon- Wed. Speaking of Hudson, I'm a fan because I like the antique shops and cafes and it,s near Olana, so I'd pick that and something further south. New Palt is a college town so that might be good for weekdays, but I don,t know it well. You should visit DIA Beacon and Stormking regardless of where you stay. Oct. is a busy time in that area so I,d book quickly. A lot of places may have closes because of Covid.

new york
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
33 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Hudson valley solo trip
Save

I did a solo trip back in May and keep forgetting to do a trip report. I spent one night in Kingston because I had a free Marriott night and I spent 2 nights in Beacon. I had nice stays in both but would prefer Beacon for walkability. I briefly visited Hudson, New Paltz and Rhinebeck and thought they would all be nice to stay in but New Paltz would probably be my last choice of the 3.

My preference is to stay in a hotel where you can walk to bars and restaurants, so in addition to the towns I would also take into consideration which hotels you would pick and how convenient they are for walking around.

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,362 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
4. Re: Hudson valley solo trip
Save

Will you be driving? There are lots of extra things to see in the area, many very attractive mansions and historic homes for example. Many have tours. Vanderbilt Mansion is good. If you have a car it makes it so much easier.

This is a map:

tinyurl.com/489j5k82

I also recommend the Walkway Over The Hudson at Poughkeepsie. At the end of October the Fall leaves should be good. You can just walk the walkway, or you can extend the walk through the marked trails in the forest there.

https://walkway.org/

Rhinebeck is a cute little town. Lots of little stores and cafes. The Beekman Arms is the oldest inn in America.

https://www.beekmandelamaterinn.com/

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
18,189 posts
199 reviews
96 helpful votes
5. Re: Hudson valley solo trip
Save

Order of preference:

1) Rhinebeck

2) Saugerties

3) New Paltz

4) Beacon

5) Kingston

6) Hudson

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Hudson valley solo trip
Save

George00: Would love to read the trip report if you do one ! I am also looking to staying in towns that are walkable with a good restaurant and bar scene. It’s hard to tell which area is best from researching online but I guess I will check Yelp and map the spots.

Can I ask why new paltz was last ? I had added new paltz as a definite stop because it is near the wineries and looked to have a good food/bar scene. But if you are saying it’s the last choice maybe I should reconsider.

Were there any towns that had a good live music scene? I like to have something to do when I am traveling to bars solo.

Edited: 08 September 2021, 06:33
New York City
Level Contributor
10,597 posts
125 reviews
80 helpful votes
7. Re: Hudson valley solo trip
Save

Other than Mohonk Mountain, Ive never been to new Paltz, but it is a college town, There has to be live music there Poughkeepsie has colleges too, but I didnt get that college town vibe there

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Hudson valley solo trip
Save

Ok so now I did some research and I definitely want to do beacon and new paltz. Beacon seems to be just what I am looking for. Quaint town with tons of bars and restaurants. New paltz seems to also have a good amount and a good base for wineries/orchards. Now trying to figure out other 4 nights. Would also like to do 1-2 nights in a relaxing b&b in countryside. So many choices !

Reply to: Hudson valley solo trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.