We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

New Romney, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
Car Hire
Save

Hi All.

I am travelling next April and and am planning 4 nights in New York and then doing a road trip around the Carolinas. I have driven in the States befire, but not really around big cities and I am a bit anxious (first time on my own). Where would you reccommend I pick up a car from, would it be worth taking the train out somewhere like Washington? I am flying back from Charlotte.

Thanks for the advice.

Amanths

6 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
49,351 posts
1,302 reviews
341 helpful votes
1. Re: Car Hire
Save

How are you planning to get from NYC to the Carolinas?

Train to DC and getting the car there might make the most sense

New Romney, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Car Hire
Save

Thanks for the reply. We are driving, there is a place I want to visit called Amantha in NC and then we were just going find some nice drives and hotels around and about and finish in Charlotte rrady to fly home.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
30,505 posts
3. Re: Car Hire
Save

IMO it depends on several factors - time, convenience, preferences and cost

Do you have the time/desire to see DC before starting your road trip?

If yes, the Amtrak train makes sense - it's faster and more civilized . (In general driving between NYC and DC is not recommended unless you plan to take a more leisurely / scenic route) Tickets are less expensive when booked at least two weeks in advance

If no, Charlotte is an airline hub so plenty of flights are available (Comparison price flights from all 3 NYC airports - EWR, JFK & LGA)

Edited: 03 September 2021, 17:06
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
30,505 posts
4. Re: Car Hire
Save

P.S. You might want to do some road trip route planning to help you decide

There might be other places to fly to from NYC depending on the amount of time you have to explore - possibly Charleston, Knoxville, Greensboro or Nashville - instead of doing a loop from Charlotte

Boston...
Level Contributor
49,351 posts
1,302 reviews
341 helpful votes
5. Re: Car Hire
Save

That's what I was getting at. Don't rent from NYC. Fly to DC or Charlotte or elsewhere nearer your next destination and rent from there.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
29 reviews
10 helpful votes
6. Re: Car Hire
Save

I would never, ever want to get behind the wheel and drive in NYC :) I either walk, Uber, taxi or subway my way around - let the professionals do the driving, which they do very well.

Reply to: Car Hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.