We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cab Company

8 posts
Cab Company
Save

I have booked a transport cab from JFK to our hotel upon our arrival via a popular booking site. The cab company is called "snagaride". Does anyone have any experience with this company? Cause when I do a simple google search I cannot find much about it. Neither on tripadvisor.

11 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
74,495 posts
49 reviews
112 helpful votes
1. Re: Cab Company
Save

How can it be a popular booking site if you can’t find any information about them?

In any event, if you post on the forum for New York City maybe someone has heard of them.

You’ve posted in the general forum for the state of New York.

The usual method of taking a taxi from the airport is to simply walk outside to the taxi line.

New York City
Level Contributor
10,600 posts
125 reviews
80 helpful votes
2. Re: Cab Company
Save

I never heard of them, Not that it means very much, but I have heard of many companies in NYC

Boston...
Level Contributor
49,426 posts
1,302 reviews
343 helpful votes
3. Re: Cab Company
Save

You are much better off getting a cab from the official lime at the airport. It is a flat rate to Manhattan.

We rarely get good reports about those booking sites like the one you mentioned.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
31,592 posts
64 reviews
45 helpful votes
4. Re: Cab Company
Save

Cancel and just get in the taxi queue outside the terminal.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
360 reviews
115 helpful votes
5. Re: Cab Company
Save

I wonder if there is confusion here coming from imprecise words?

I you really mean a "cab" or a "taxi" - you should know that they cannot legally be pre-reserved from JFK. Taxi's must go thorough a queue - where they are dispatched out on demand - and a passenger gets whatever is the next available cab (subject to a little jockeying by the dispatcher if an oversized cab is needed). If you did mean "cab / taxi" - follow the advice already give here - just go to the taxi line.

If you want a "car service" - I only know two options:

A rideshare service like Uber of Lyft - but those are typically not pre-reserved (yes, I know you can - but it would be difficult - given the unpredictability of flight arrival times, you'd have to build in a large buffer to give them a pick up time you could count on - so the typical "request when needed from the app" model would likely make more sense).

A proper "car service" that will take your flight information and track your flight and adjust their arrival time accordingly. Here, I'd warn with the old adage "you get what you pay for" -> the booking site won't really matter - what will matter is what actual company they book. Consider instead going direct to the car company with one of the long-standing and well regarded limo companies in the area (e.g., Carmel or Dial 7).

One last note >> If you are looking to save $s - there are good mass transit options covered in the link below (note that shuttle info may not be accurate given Covid era changes - but the subway and train info should all be accurate) >> https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k13187699-How_do_I_get_from_the_airport_JFK_LGA_EWR_to_Manhattan-New_York_City_New_York.html

Good luck!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
30,563 posts
6. Re: Cab Company
Save

To further clarify

Within NYC there are only two kinds of legal car rides

1) Yellow cabs which can pick up street hails and at the JFK & LGA airport dispatcher lines (The Green ones in the outlying areas can do airport drop offs but not pick ups)

2) Car services (A.K.A. For Hire Vehicles) which must be prearranged (whether by website, phone or the app services)

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/tlc/passengers/your-ride.page

All vehicles and drivers must be licensed by NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission.

Chances are you've used some obscure middleman (and I am curious which "popular" website directed you to this company)

If possible cancel and use another method

8 posts
7. Re: Cab Company
Save

I have booked a transport from booking.com and they forward you to any company that provides that servicw from their list....and it happens to be snagaride.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
74,495 posts
49 reviews
112 helpful votes
8. Re: Cab Company
Save

“ I have booked a transport from booking.com ”

I guess the question is “ why?”

For the benefit of any other travelers reading this, there’s no need to use a third-party site ( or two of them??) to get a taxi from the airport.

If you’re not taking the train/subway, you just walk outside and get a taxi.

If you want a private car service, and/or have mobility issues and need someone to meet you inside the terminal to assist you, you book a car service like Dial 7.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
360 reviews
115 helpful votes
9. Re: Cab Company
Save

OK - So it's certainly up to you. I personally have never heard of them.

They may be fine - or they may not.

Up to you if you want to roll the dice.

FWIW - I would never book an airport limo pick-up through a third party. Who will you call if your driver is not there when you arrive? Are you sure they'll answer?

Again- up to you - but it would have to be an awfully big savings for me to consider booking an unknown car service through a 3rd party. Too many things that could to wrong...

If Dial 7 or Carmel is too expensive for you - don't forget that Taxi's are always there and there's a fixed rate into the city.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Cab Company
Save

Never heard of it. As others said, you really would be much, much better off cancelling and just getting a yellow cab at the airport when you arrive. There's no need to book a car in advance.

Reply to: Cab Company
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.