We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort Fees in NYC

Syracuse, New York...
Level Contributor
2 posts
90 reviews
55 helpful votes
Resort Fees in NYC
Save

Wow...I mean I have been the unfortunate receiver of resort fees before...IN FLORIDA. Where they had a POOL, A BEACHFRONT, etc. I've literally looked at around 2 dozen hotels for my stay, probably more, and ALL OF THEM have charged a resort fee. How is that legal? Is this a recent phenomenon? I've been going to NYC my whole life and never seen this.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
33,056 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Resort Fees in NYC
Save

It is legal. It is not recent.

Hotels look to incorporate the costs of certain items into an all in one category. If they dropped the fees, they would raise the prices.

Syracuse, New York...
Level Contributor
2 posts
90 reviews
55 helpful votes
2. Re: Resort Fees in NYC
Save

Fine. INCLUDE the fees in the nightly price. Why would you not do that? What is the purpose of NOT showing that fee? If you show your nightly price to be $150, but you have a $25 resort fee, your REAL nightly price is $175. That's reality. The only reason to NOT show it is to seem competitive and then essentially fleece guests. It's underhanded at best, at worst it's a scam.

Boston...
Level Contributor
49,639 posts
1,309 reviews
353 helpful votes
3. Re: Resort Fees in NYC
Save

You know what the purpose is. It's to make the price initially look better and they hope you can't do math.

There are multiple threads here listing all the hotels with and without these fees

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
74,528 posts
49 reviews
112 helpful votes
4. Re: Resort Fees in NYC
Save

It’s actually to save the hotel commission payments to third-party booking sites.

It’s really easy to see the full price.

A $300 room without a Resort Fee is still the same price as a $260 room with a $40 Resort Fee.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
8 reviews
19 helpful votes
5. Re: Resort Fees in NYC
Save

Agree with you on all points, tmalley. But the fact remains it is legal. Vote with your dollars and don't stay at properties with resort fees. There are still many in Manhattan.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
7,591 posts
67 reviews
65 helpful votes
6. Re: Resort Fees in NYC
Save

Of course it's legal, why wouldn't it be. The US doesn't tell hotels what to charge. Hotels can charge for Wifi, also, a lot do that. I have read about some bills being introduced somewhere (not sure if natinoal or not) that would require them to be included in the price shown, though. But they can still charge them.

I never thought about the boooking commission issue, at least that's a real issue. I also always presumed it was to look better than you are in searches, etc., and people don't find out untl they've already spent some time considering it. Some places don't call it a resort fee, either, it seems nowadays that is unusual (unless it is more of a resort area) and it is usually called a destination fee or simply facility charge.

IA lot of hotels do this in NY,l but it's not that hard to find one without them. I often stay at the HOliday Inn Times Square when I go mainly for theatre, and they don't have one, for example. I don't think Comfort Inns have them in Manhattan, they have a $3.50 fee they call destination fee or something, but I believe that's the city room tax. There are plenty of Holiday Inns around the city. Cambria hotels don't have them, either, there's one of those near Times Square.

7. Re: Resort Fees in NYC

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2020, 10:11
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.