We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC with a baby in late November

11 posts
NYC with a baby in late November
Save

Hi everyone

My partner and I will be visiting New York for the first time and so I would love to hear your advice about a few things (I posted here while planning a trip to California and the reposes were amazing!)

We’re going from Mon 25th- Fri 29th November and bringing our son who will be just coming up to 8 months old (sorry other plane passengers 😬)

I think we will stay in midtown area, close to central park if we can afford it. I’d like to know...

-Are there any baby friendly attractions/activities/places you would recommend?

-Where is the best place to watch the Thanksgiving parade? (Somewhere that isn’t too crowded if possible)

-I’ve read that most places are closed for thanksgiving.. will we still be able to find somewhere to eat and stuff to do?

-Food wise, any family friendly places for breakfast/lunch/dinner that you’d recommend? My partner loves fast food and is hoping for some huge unhealthy meals while we are away...! Any suggestions?

-Do you think any Christmas decorations/lights be up by November? Would love to see some while we are there so wondering where to look.

Thanks in advance

Amy

Boston...
Level Contributor
49,531 posts
1,304 reviews
348 helpful votes
1. Re: NYC with a baby in late November
Save

Amy:

You might want to repost your questions on the New York City board, this is the board for all of New York State and gets many fewer visitors.

So you know, there isn't anywhere you can easily see the parade Live, it attracts tens of thousands of viewers. You'd have to get to the curb many hours in advance for a View.

11 posts
2. Re: NYC with a baby in late November
Save

Thanks, will do! :) I was sort of hoping someone local might know of a pub/cafe somewhere with a view of one of the parade streets so we could kind of watch it from inside where it might be less busy? I know it’s a long shot though! It sounds like it might be a bit of a struggle to watch it on the streets with a push chair

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
30,597 posts
3. Re: NYC with a baby in late November
Save

Any of the (limited) number of places with windows that look out over the parade route will be having parties at various prices

The Christmas decorations will all be up for Black Friday

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24,842 posts
4. Re: NYC with a baby in late November
Save

I would definitely stay on the family friendly residential upper west side. At the Beacon if it fits your budget -if not check out the Newton. This is a lovely area only a couple of blocks from Central park which even babies love due to the numerous playgrounds, ponds and lakes, small zoo (which has a petting zoo for little ones to feed the little animals) and also the Am Muse Natural History. Also check if the puppet shows are still operating. The AMNH is a classic for UWS mom and nannies to take little ones since there are lots of animal dioramas for them to look at and even sometimes special interactive programs (depending on date and kids age - but meant for little ones - checking out tadpoles as just one example.) Check the web site to see what they have when you are there - the butterflies are a favorite.

As for the parade about 3 million people line the route of march - but there are a couple of places that have brunch on the second floor so you can see over the heads of the lines of people and at least get a view of the balloons and the floats with musical acts. Also the afternoon before the parade balloons are blown up in the Park behinds the AMNH and it's great to watch - but it will also be mobbed.

The area has tons of family friendly restaurants of all types, Zabars and Fairway to bring at least snacks and possibly light meals into the room for dinner (Many Beacon rooms have kitchenettes) and there are 2 subwaylines for easy access to he rest of the the city.

5. Re: NYC with a baby in late November

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2020, 10:11
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.