We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night July 2020, Solo travel. Can’t decide!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
533 posts
2 reviews
One night July 2020, Solo travel. Can’t decide!
Save

I need a hotel for one night next July (2020), looking for a clean place, not more than $200 (including fees), within a reasonable distance to Penn Station (by subway), BUT also want to see some sights while I’m there (but not planning any tours, shows or museums).

I’m trying to decide between Wellington Hotel (which is between Times Square & Central Park) or Empire Hotel (Columbus circle, not far from Central Park).

I can get either for about the same price, the difference being around $10.

Both have pros & cons by what they offer and also locations.

I’ve done so much research on so many places, everytime I find a place I’ll then find scary reviews (Hotel Pennsylvania; yikes).

Any advice is very much appreciated!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24,842 posts
1. Re: One night July 2020, Solo travel. Can’t decide!
Save

The hOtel Penn is an absolute dump. The Empire is a good location but has very small rooms and i have heard that rooms are tired. But for your low budget you are not going to get luxury.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
533 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: One night July 2020, Solo travel. Can’t decide!
Save

Right. Which is why my original post — the topic of my original post — I say I can’t decide between the EMPIRE or WELLINGTON.

I’m not looking for luxury, it’s ONE NIGHT (I still have standard for one night, which is why I madevthe comment about Hotel Pennsylvania, which is not in my consideration). If I wanted luxury I’d stay home, I work at a 4-Diamond hotel. But I’m traveling and just need a decent place for the night.

I’m just wanting help deciding between those two, specifically.

I haven’t been to NY in 20 years, and back then I didn’t even get to spend one night in the city just drove in. ☹️

Edited: 2 years ago
NY, NY
Level Contributor
489 posts
55 reviews
118 helpful votes
3. Re: One night July 2020, Solo travel. Can’t decide!
Save

Someone on another forum mentioned the Seton Hotel which I had never heard of but when I looked it up it looked adorable and a good price with good reviews. In terms of the hotels you are asking about, there is truly almost zero difference in terms of location.

4. Re: One night July 2020, Solo travel. Can’t decide!

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2020, 11:11
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.