We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Got to choose 1 thing to do in 1 day in NYC!

Maui, Hawaii
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Got to choose 1 thing to do in 1 day in NYC!

So, very excited to get a 22 hour layover in NYC and want to make the most of it. We’re a family of Aussie yokels and never been anywhere in the States. So stats and questions:

Need a hotel for 2 adults and 4 kids (8-16 years - all boys) - preferably near JFK airport.

We will need sleep after a 15 hour flight (arrive at 10.30pm) then after we wake up will have the afternoon to go and visit something.

The question is what shall it be?? Central Park, Times Square? Wha would you choose as your most notable NYC place?

We would like to get a feel for the enormity and population of the city as we live remotely in Western Australia - about as isolated as you can get.

We will be there in January so cold I guess? Please please wise people of the NY forums advise us!

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
1,16,816 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
45,775 Reviews
New York City, NY
5 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,620 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Got to choose 1 thing to do in 1 day in NYC!

I wouldn't normally recommend Times Square, but given your stats and background, I'd head there from your hotel (connections from JFK are a frequently asked topic in this forum). Then take the subway uptown to Museum of Natural History, which is located next to Central Park.

The weather will determine how much time you'll want to spend exploring TS and the park, but the museum is easily good for three hours and there are some good lunch/dinner choices in the area. If at all possible, avoid the restaurants in Times Square.

Incidentally, you posted in the forum for New York state--you will get more responses by re-posting in the New York City forum the next level down.

Edited: 26 April 2018, 17:06
Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
45,775 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
1,16,816 Reviews
New York City, NY
Maui, Hawaii
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Got to choose 1 thing to do in 1 day in NYC!

Thanks. NYC doesn’t appear on my menu, but I can see it on others posts. Will check it out.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,620 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Got to choose 1 thing to do in 1 day in NYC!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Got to choose 1 thing to do in 1 day in NYC!

I would do 2 things that are very close together - Top of the Rock for an aerial view of much of the city - including Central Park - and then either Times Square (if you must, but it's much better at night) or the southern end of Central Park (walk up 6h Ave to get a feeling for the city atmosphere and drop in on the southern end of the Park) to see the city at play.

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
1,16,816 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
45,775 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Got to choose 1 thing to do in 1 day in NYC!

I would do 2 things that are very close together - Top of the Rock for an aerial view of much of the city - including Central Park - and then either Times Square (if you must, but it's much better at night) or the southern end of Central Park (walk up 6h Ave to get a feeling for the city atmosphere and drop in on the southern end of the Park) to see the city at play.

Note you must buy timed tickets for ToTR in advance and can get them for early in the am if you want to see as much of the city as possible.

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
1,16,816 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
45,775 Reviews
New York City, NY
Reply to: Got to choose 1 thing to do in 1 day in NYC!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted