We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to expect (covid closing) in Mid Sept

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
437 posts
100 reviews
324 helpful votes
What to expect (covid closing) in Mid Sept
Save

Hi. Husband & I are planning a 5 night visit in September. I have been to Sante Fe years ago and this is his first trip. In this day of covid can I expect to visit the native americans selling their jewelry and crafts under the overhang in town (forget the name of the building)? Are the in town churchs, specifically St Francis and Loretto, open for visitors? Chimayo seems to be open but with "limited" activities ? Madras? Is there any point it driving to Taos? My friends and I did that drive on the last trip and by the time we got there, things were closing. I don't remember thinking I would want to go back. Please give us other suggestions to fill our time. (2 seniors who love scenery, sunsets, local culture, food....not into hiking or overly physical activities). Also, does the place feel relatively covid aware yet welcoming? I know. So many questions and would appreciate input on any of them. Thank you!

9 replies to this topic
Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
7,239 posts
150 reviews
55 helpful votes
1. Re: What to expect (covid closing) in Mid Sept
Save

NM just reinstated masking for all indoor spaces, regardless of vax status. Most things are open but if there is sonething specific you want to do, call or check their website. Museums are open. This will be a time of colors changing so a drive might be nice. For a short drive you could head up to Santa Fe Ski Basin. For a longer drive, you could head towards Valles Caldera National Preserve, NM's best kept secret. This could be paired with a visit to Los Alamos to visit the Historical Museum and/or the Science Museum. A lot of people love Taos and you do have time for it. I personally find it very similar to Santa Fe however there are some museums there that are unique if museums are your thing.

Edited: 24 August 2021, 18:01
Los Alamos, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Los Alamos
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
208 reviews
134 helpful votes
2. Re: What to expect (covid closing) in Mid Sept
Save

Good summary above. Santa Fe, Taos and Los Alamos (or at least the parts of them that tourists generally frequent) are all generally "covid aware yet welcoming" -- if the visitor is also Covid aware. Tensions may arise if visitors are _not_ Covid-aware and insist on behaving as they do "back home." This is a special case of the general observation that visitors who bring their own behaviors and expect New Mexicans to accommodate them, rather than respecting the way things are done locally, can face hostility. Santa Fe isn't Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, or anywhere in Texas.

Leander, Texas
Level Contributor
918 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: What to expect (covid closing) in Mid Sept
Save

I resent my Texas being compared to LA, Chicago or Miami. You obviously don't visit the Ruidoso/Cloudcroft area enough...quite welcoming and conservative.

Edited: 25 August 2021, 01:10
4 posts
4. Re: What to expect (covid closing) in Mid Sept
Save

I was wondering the same thing. We’ll be there 9-9 to9-13

There will be the fiesta de Santa Fe going on that weekend, so that’s a big plus.

Don’t forget the farmers market Saturday mornings.

The last time I was in Madrid was 2019, does anyone know if the shops have remained open?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
437 posts
100 reviews
324 helpful votes
5. Re: What to expect (covid closing) in Mid Sept
Save

Thank you for the input. Keep your suggestions coming. I've read about the difficulty parking in town, in the square area. Any tips?

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
7,239 posts
150 reviews
55 helpful votes
6. Re: What to expect (covid closing) in Mid Sept
Save

Eh, it really isnt a big deal. I usually take 5 minutes to whip around the streets once to see if I can find anything. If I find nothing, I go to one of the pay parking lots.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
437 posts
100 reviews
324 helpful votes
7. Re: What to expect (covid closing) in Mid Sept
Save

Thanks. I thought it was a huge problem from what I have read although I don't remember that from my visit years ago.

Reading...
Level Contributor
249 posts
14 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: What to expect (covid closing) in Mid Sept
Save

Annie....Similar concerns here as to covid. Have a trip booked in October to visit several National parks including Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mtns. On another forum I've gotten reports of people not being able to get their reserved rental cars. Then there is the concern about overcrowded medical facilities. We fly into Tucson and end in San Antonio. I had this same trip booked last year and then canceled it. I was hoping this recent delta surge wouldn't be this severe. Not sure what to do but should decide within the next few weeks.

Edited: 27 August 2021, 19:31
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
437 posts
100 reviews
324 helpful votes
9. Re: What to expect (covid closing) in Mid Sept
Save

That rental car thing really scares me. I think I will double check on that reservation. We'd be screwed without it. As to Covid, we went to Maine in July as our first trip since the pandemic. I felt the safest on the plane and in the airport as everyone was so careful. We got sloppy once we were at our destination and also lucky. I am 90% sure we will go through with this trip and just be more careful. Best wishes on your decision and your trip if that is your choice.

Reply to: What to expect (covid closing) in Mid Sept
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.