We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Morro National Monument

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
49 reviews
El Morro National Monument

I'm new to New Mexico, and I love rock art and ruins! I'm also an avid hiker. What are the trails like at El Morro National Monument?

There is an event planned for Sept. 15th that I'd like to attend, and I would also like to visit the mesa top, so that is the trail I'm most interested in. I may have friends with me that cannot hike too much; are there things for them to do while I'm hiking to the ruins?

Any advice for El Morro, and things to see on the way there (from ABQ) would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Pixie

3 replies to this topic
vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
189 reviews
1. Re: El Morro National Monument

The trail to the springs is short and paved and, I think, handicapped accessible. Then it continues on a moderately steep climb to the top, which is the most demanding section. The trail around the rock at the top isn't particularly demanding but it is exposed to the sun and can be very hot depending on time of year. The descent is by stairs. The ranger station has a few displays but not enough to occupy a visitor the whole time it would take someone to do the trail at the top, but there is a nice picnic area beside the ranger station, which would be a comfor table place to wait, especially if you have a folding chair. I believe there are a few shaded benches on the short trail.

Acoma is between ABQ and El Morro, but IMO it deserves the better part of a day. The Spirit Wolf Sanctuary is nearby often mentioned by CasaAzul, but I haven't been there yet.

Edited: 05 September 2018, 01:02
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
135 reviews
2. Re: El Morro National Monument

If you have the time, Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary mentioned by vcv would be worth visiting.

About a mile past El Morro, you will see signs for Fence Lake, Pinehill and some other locations. Turn left onto this paved highway, Indian Service Route 120.

You go through the small community of Mountain View. Caution: obey the speed limit through here, or you will be stopped and ticketed. It is a very small area, and lots of buildings for about 2 city blocks. 15 mph means just that.

Stay on this road approximately another 4 miles and you will see a sign for the Sanctuary. Turn right. This is a gravel road, well taken care of and I think you could do it with a rental, as you are only travelling about 4 miles.

The Sanctuary is on the left. Park and go in the Visitor Center.

Google wildspiritwolfsanctuary.org, and you can see the times for the guided tours, and the fees to take the tour. Please believe me, I have been there several times, will go again and again to visit these magnificent animals.

If you are lucky as I was one time I went there, they will sing for you. One starts howling, and before you know it they are all talking to each other.

Again, if you have time, go there. It's an experience you won't soon forget.

Edited: 05 September 2018, 02:32
Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: El Morro National Monument

Thank you for the quick responses!

Acoma is on my short list already; I have planned to dedicate an entire Saturday there (for the tour). The camel anniversary @ El Morro just came on my radar and it seemed the perfect time to give it a visit! Sept. 15th.

I will look into the wolf rescue, thanks for the suggestion!

Edited: 05 September 2018, 09:56
Reply to: El Morro National Monument
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted