We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sights along Interstate 40

Iowa
Level Contributor
459 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sights along Interstate 40

We will be driving through NM after almost 2 weeks away from home in June. I would love to stay for a few days, but that will have to wait for another trip. I am wondering if there is one special recommended sight close to Interstate 40 that we could see on our way through. We may stay in far eastern NM for the night. Appreciate any suggestions.

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sights along Interstate 40

Hi

A few ideas for you. If you turn off I-40 near Grants onto NM53 this will take you to El Malpais and El Morro NM's. Further on Indian Route 38 will take you to Acoma Pueblo (Sky City). West of Albuquerque NM448 will take you to Indian Petroglyph NM. Take US84 at Santa Rosa to Ft. Sumner, there you'll find Billy the Kid Gravesite and Ft. Sumner SM. NM252 and NM209 will bring you to Tucumcari at the eastern end of I-40. Drive safely.

Tony

Iowa
Level Contributor
459 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sights along Interstate 40

Tony, you always have lots of suggestions!!

Do you know of a site where I can research these a little to find out what they are? Also, if there is only 1 we can stop at, which would you recommend? We will have to travel at least 500-600 miles that day.

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sights along Interstate 40

Hi Kathy

Must stop meeting like this. Try www.newmexico.org for information on sights both man made and natural. Another site you may find useful for your trip through the Southwest is www.desertusa.com, loads of information on this site. It's difficult to say which one thing you should visit. I would be tempted to say Acoma Pueblo, but don't let me sway you. That's a long drive! Drive safely.

Tony

North Carolina
Level Contributor
687 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sights along Interstate 40

I'll vote for Acoma as well. It was my favorite stop between Oklahoma and Gallup.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sights along Interstate 40

Consider the Ice Cave. It doesn't take much time, and it's very different from anywhere else (cool too). On the way you can study volcanic rock and structure close up. There is also a very small volcano that doesn't take long to climb there. It's a perfect cinder cone and provides a good geology lesson.