We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary

Level Contributor
15 posts
Help with Itinerary

Hello! We will be driving from Detroit suburb to Traverse city next weekend and staying in West Silver Lake area for three nights. There will be four of us, my husband and I and our sons in their 20s (one of them lives in Michigan). We enjoy being outdoor, nature and great scenery. I have done some reading and would appreciate any suggestions or comments for the itinerary.

Day I-leave early and drive to Traverse city. Lunch suggestions somewhere along the way? Check in and then go to downtown for dinner.

Day 2- Sleeping Bear Dunes-Hike the Empire Bluff Trail , check out Empire Beach, the Pierce Stocking drive and stop for a picnic lunch. Sons may want to do the Dune Climb. Maybe check out the Pyramid Point Trail for a little. Don’t know how long all these will take and if there is time to go to Fishtown?

Day 3-Drive up to Old Mission Park and Lighthouse Park and do some hiking. Stop by Old Mission General Store for lunch. Then check out 1 or 2 wineries in the area. I would like a winery that has a nice patio where we can sit down, sip the wine and enjoy the scenery. Will Chateau Grand and/or Brys Estate Vineyard & Winery be good choice(s)?

Day 4-We may spend a little time in the area before driving back to Detroit but don't have a plan yet. .

Any suggestions for places we should add to our itinerary to visit?

Thanks in advance.

8 replies to this topic
Muskegon County...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
102 reviews
1. Re: Help with Itinerary

Looks good to me. : )

Dawson & Stevens Classic 50's Diner in Grayling is a nice diner if you go that way.

Southeast, Michigan
Level Contributor
508 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Help with Itinerary

Be advised Empire beach has rocks, stones that must be waded thru to get to a sandbar if swimming in the big lake, also pit style toilets. If you want a sandy swimming beach, Frankfort or Manistee are better choices but further south of your hotel. If you plan to swim in Empire, you’ll want to pack water shoes. Learned this myself recently-ouch

Level Contributor
15 posts
3. Re: Help with Itinerary

grdault-Thanks for the restaurant suggestion. It looks interesting!

bluebygrace-Thanks for the heads up. We don't plan to swim at Empire beach. We may check out the beaches you mentioned if time allows.

Niles, Michigan
Level Contributor
93 posts
190 reviews
4. Re: Help with Itinerary

You can easily spend a day at sleeping bear dunes so you may not have time for Leland but you can play it by ear. Chateau Chantel has a great outdoor patio with beautiful views but have a backup plan in case of rain. Bonobo winery has some fantastic indoor spaces.

Level Contributor
15 posts
5. Re: Help with Itinerary

Thanks for the tips!

Anyone has more suggestions for scenic/unique stops between Detroit and Traverse city?

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Help with Itinerary

Chech out www.michigan.org (regions) if you have not done so. There is a lot in between. Highly consider Frankenmuth, MI (largest Christmas store in the world and a beautiful town) and though not directly on the way Gaylord, MI is a nice town with Elk being prime for their Elk Park and wild Elk just east of town. (most in the state)

Level Contributor
15 posts
7. Re: Help with Itinerary

Frandenmuth River Place looks lovely. I am pretty sure my husband would love the Michigan Military and Space Heroes Museum.

Thanks!

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Help with Itinerary

www.gogreat.com

https://www.frankenmuth.org/

Bronners Christmas Store, Birch Run Outlet Center, Saginaw Castle Museum and Dow Gardens in Midland, MI are some of the area highlights. Bronners is a must. Riverplace is beautifully landscaped. Two famouse chicken places in town. Endless carriages. :-)

Reply to: Help with Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted