We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best day trip from Detroit to visit Lake Michigan...

Michigan
Level Contributor
200 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best day trip from Detroit to visit Lake Michigan...

I'm thinking of taking a 13 year old boy who's from Detroit and never really been outside the city to see Lake Michigan, but just for a day trip. We'd be going on a weekday. Hoping for nothing further than a 3 hr drive from Detroit, if possible.

We probably won't swim; I just want him to see it and maybe walk along the beach for the experience. Hoping for somewhere that's not too crowded. Would also be great if there was something else nearby that we could do when we're done with that.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Detroit
Detroit
Michigan
6 replies to this topic
chicago
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best day trip from Detroit to visit Lake Michigan...

St. Joe has a free splash park. It's great for kids. Grand Haven is great for teens. Those are my two favorite beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Haven
Grand Haven
Ottawa County, MI
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best day trip from Detroit to visit Lake Michigan...

As a household we have did many three to four (or more) hour daytrips. Just be prepared to be tired. The above response probably hit on the two most popular beachtowns. Around three hours covers from Saint Joseph, MI up to Muskegon, MI. For age 13, New Buffalo, MI (3:15) has a speedboat ride. Saugatuck, MI has dune rides, boat rides, and Duck rides. Nearby Grand Haven, MI is Muskegon, MI which has Michigan Adventure but that might be a bit too long of a day. Check www.beachtowns.org for more info.

Another option is Port Clinton, OH and Put In Bay, OH shoresandislands.com/things-to-do/beaches…

Their beaches may not be quite the same but Port Clinton is under two hours away. And the area has more than plenty to do.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Joseph
Saint Joseph
Berrien County, MI
Muskegon
Muskegon
Muskegon County, MI
New Buffalo
New Buffalo
Berrien County, MI
Saugatuck
Saugatuck
Allegan County, MI
Grand Haven
Grand Haven
Ottawa County, MI
Michigan's Adventure
Michigan's Adventure
904 Reviews
Muskegon, MI
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
956 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best day trip from Detroit to visit Lake Michigan...

Not crowded and a shorter drive = a drive to see Lake Huron by Port Sanilac. You might want to consider doing this since it's half the travel time of going to Lake Michigan (depending on your starting point in Detroit)

Mentioned in this post
Detroit
Detroit
Michigan
Muskegon County...
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best day trip from Detroit to visit Lake Michigan...

Take I-96 to Muskegon and enjoy the beach, walk the pier, tour the lighthouse, and perhaps even visit a submarine.

Mentioned in this post
Muskegon
Muskegon
Muskegon County, MI
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best day trip from Detroit to visit Lake Michigan...

st joseph would be my vote...

also, i heard the airzoo in k-zoo is pretty good. perhaps a stop there along the way?

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,728 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best day trip from Detroit to visit Lake Michigan...

I know this isn't what you really want to hear, but sometimes you have to save those longer trips for when you have a little more time available. There's quite a bit to see and do, as you can see from the above suggestions. You and the boy would probably enjoy it much better if you give yourself a little time, instead of being tired from doing a lot of driving in a short period of time.

It's going to be about at least a 3.5 hour drive each way across Michigan to the western side, even to the closest spots. Probably either St. Joseph or South Haven.

If you didn't want to drive, Amtrak's Wolverine route runs from Detroit all the way west to Chicago Union Station. They do have a stop in New Buffalo, too - and you can walk to the beach from the depot there. But that would certainly not be my first choice for a Lake Michigan beach town.

Maybe in the future, you could even do an overnighter in Chicago. It has 24 beaches on Lake Michigan. See the Lake from the other side. But it's certainly not a day trip. Don't see the logic of being on a train 10+ hours to spend 6, maybe a little more, at a destination.

Or perhaps, when you have more time, you could go up to Mackinaw City, over the bridge into the UP. See Lake Michigan *and* Lake Superior.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 16:24
Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Saint Joseph
Saint Joseph
Berrien County, MI
South Haven
South Haven
Van Buren County, MI
Detroit
Detroit
Michigan
Chicago Union Station
Chicago Union Station
86 Reviews
Chicago, IL
New Buffalo
New Buffalo
Berrien County, MI
Lake Michigan Beach Park
Lake Michigan Beach Park
80 Reviews
Empire, MI
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Lake Michigan
Lake Michigan
1,813 Reviews
Illinois
Mackinaw City
Mackinaw City
Cheboygan County, MI
Reply to: Best day trip from Detroit to visit Lake Michigan...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted