We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting sites between BWI and Philly

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
144 posts
56 reviews
Interesting sites between BWI and Philly

Hello-

I'll be flying into BWI next Friday morning and heading up to the Philly area with 2- 14 year old boys, who will be playing in a LAX tournament there. We have about 7 hours in free time to reach the Philly area, so I'd love some insight into an interesting route that will allow us to do some fun things along the way and restaurant suggestions for a nice lunch. We'll be spending time in both Philadelphia and Baltimore's Inner Harbor at the end of our trip, so no need to hit those areas right away. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Interesting sites between BWI and Philly

Fort McHenry should be on your itinerary somewhere, so if you're not going to have time for it at the end, I'd head there.Otherwise, you could rent paddleboards or the like in Havre de Grace, or try to find the Decoy Museum (it's hard, since it's disguised as a gas station). *

* Not really.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
641 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Interesting sites between BWI and Philly

I495 is closed due a bridge issue which complicates the drive from BWI to Philly. I95 still takes you there but volumes are heavier and it goes through downtown Wilmington. Give yourself enough time and avoid rush hour.

Grasonville...
Level Contributor
451 posts
293 reviews
3. Re: Interesting sites between BWI and Philly

Havre de Grace, is a good spot. Hagley Museum might also fit in.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
144 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: Interesting sites between BWI and Philly

Great suggestions! Thanks so much.

Havre de Grace looks like a great spot for lunch. Fort McHenry, Decoy Museum, Hagley Museum-- all good suggestions that I'll look into. Appreciate it!

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
414 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: Interesting sites between BWI and Philly

Where is the lax tournament if you don't mind me asking? Are you driving from Baltimore to Philly or to where your lax tournament is? I ask because a couple of years ago, my son played in a lax tournament outside of Philly, near King of Prussia. If you are headed to the western side of Philly, you may want to consider getting off 495/95 in Wilmington and take a more scenic route via country roads which would enable you to drive through Amish country. It will take a little longer, but more scenic and you can avoid the construction congestion. This route would only work if you are headed to the western side of Philly. You would still pass by Havre de Grace in MD which would be a nice place to have lunch. I made the trip with my kids to surprise my husband and older son who were already at the lax tournament (it was Fathers Day). We stopped along the way at some roadside Amish stands where they had amazing fresh baked goods and delicious fruit we snacked on in the car. And though we had to drive at a slower speed limit, the scenery was much better than dreaded I-95!

If you don't mind sharing where you are headed, if not directly going into Philly, I might be able to map a route and offer up some places that might interest the boys.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
144 posts
56 reviews
6. Re: Interesting sites between BWI and Philly

The first weekend, the LAX tournament is in Downington-- in the WestChester area and hotel is in Glen Mills. We also have a tournament the following weekend and that is in Bel Air MD.

So, yes, we'll be quite a bit west of Philly on our initial drive up from BWI airport. We have enough time that we can certainly take a scenic route.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
414 posts
46 reviews
7. Re: Interesting sites between BWI and Philly

Citygal, that's the same tournament location my son went to a few years ago. I just got back from vacation but tomorrow will map out the route we took, leaving I-95 in Wilmington. Coincidentally, I'll be at a lax tournament this weekend too, but ours is in Hershey, PA.

I'll see if I can come up with some ideas for you.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Interesting sites between BWI and Philly

I've found that my teen son's limited patience for touring expands a bit for military sites. That was part of why I noted Fort McHenry. Same point applies to Valley Forge.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
414 posts
46 reviews
9. Re: Interesting sites between BWI and Philly

Valley Forge was one of the things I was going to recommend. Haven't been there myself, but thought it might be interesting to teenage boys.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Interesting sites between BWI and Philly

Driving by M&T Bank Stadium where the NCAA Lacrosse championships are played every year should be a treat as well.

You'll definitely pass by if you stop at Fort McHenry.