We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question: 5 days around Chicago Illinois and St. Louis MO

D P
San Diego...
4 posts
Question: 5 days around Chicago Illinois and St. Louis MO

I am going to be in St. Luis with my family (includes a pre-teen and seniors) for 5 days in late Summer and want to capture all the must-see places around the area. We are planning to include Chicago in this trip. I do not mind driving around for several hours but for something that is worth seeing, of course. We like scenic byways, and definitely do not want to miss city highlights such as Arch but do not care about restaurents/ bars. Please suggest me travel itirinery so that we do not miss best places. Thanks!

Best Seller
Chicago Architecture River Cruise
3,231 Reviews
from US$ 41.44*
Viator VIP: Willis Tower Skydeck...
104 Reviews
from US$ 124.00*
Chicago Explorer Pass
181 Reviews
from US$ 79.00*
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
286 reviews
1. Re: Question: 5 days around Chicago Illinois and St. Louis MO

St Louis

The zoo ( free)

Arch

Cardinals if you like baseball

Ice cream at Ted drews or crown candy kitchen

I'm sure there are more but can't think right now

Chicago

Shedd aquarium

Field museum

Eat pizza/ hot dogs

Navy pier

Mag mile

D P
San Diego...
4 posts
2. Re: Question: 5 days around Chicago Illinois and St. Louis MO

Thanks! Are there any places around St. Luis and Chicago that we can take a drive 4-6 hr and see or something in between St. Luis and Chicago that we should stop by since we are going from St. Luis to Chicago by car.

Thanks!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
286 reviews
3. Re: Question: 5 days around Chicago Illinois and St. Louis MO

We have made that trip a few times, as far as I can find there really isn't anything in between the two. You do drive by Springfield il if you take hwy 55.

D P
San Diego...
4 posts
4. Re: Question: 5 days around Chicago Illinois and St. Louis MO

Thanks really! We will surely go to St. Louis and Chicago places/food that you suggested. So I see right now definitely 1 day in St. Luis, 1 day in Chicago, 1 day driving back and forth. I heard about Great River Road, is it worth driving there? Is it worth taking the Mississippi River route one time when driving from Chicago to St. Louis? I know it is much longer than Springfield route but if worth, we can go springfield route and come back the river route? Please inform. Thanks.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
286 reviews
5. Re: Question: 5 days around Chicago Illinois and St. Louis MO

I think the great river road is worth the drive though it might take you a little longer. For Chicago, you might want to plane Ina few days. Sheds aquarium takes about 3 hours and that doesn't include standing inline to get in. Go early and get in line. Field museum is about three hours also. Walking the mag mile really depends on how many stops you make. We took about 3-4 hours and made the following stops. Garrett s popcorn, apple store, water place tower mall, ghirdelli chocolate store and maybe one or two others. We were actually just in Chicago and we live in st Louis.

USA
Level Contributor
7,134 posts
257 reviews
6. Re: Question: 5 days around Chicago Illinois and St. Louis MO

Springfield, Illinois is a destination in its own right with Lincoln sites and Route 66. A five day trip does not give you much time, 2 days in St. Louis, 2 days in Chicago, and one day to drive between them with a stop in Springfield.

In Springfield, visit the Lincoln Home and Lincoln Museum. View the old and current state capitol buildings and the Lincoln-Herndon Law Office site. Visit Lincoln's tomb, if time allows. I was delighted with Shea's gas station, but that will not be to everyone's taste. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60887-d18…

The recreated village of New Salem is a bit off the interstate and would be an alternative to Springfield. Log cabins and costumed staff make for an interesting visit.

With only five days you are going to have to pick and choose.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,269 posts
137 reviews
7. Re: Question: 5 days around Chicago Illinois and St. Louis MO

It's about as boring as San Diego to Palm Springs through the Moreno Valley but it takes 2 hours longer and it's flat flat farm land.

Brookfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
419 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Question: 5 days around Chicago Illinois and St. Louis MO

check out the City Museum in St. Louis, the pre-teen will love it and even the adults will find things to do there. This museum is hard to descirbe but definitley amazing. It is not really a museums more of a play ground with a bunch of collections to see hands on stuff, there is a circus museum and school there and the students put on shows, . We happened on it by accident, two adults in their later 30s with no kids and thought it was cool but would be really fun with kids and family. Inside there is a small aquarium, that was worth the extra $6 to get in. Not too far from there was a place called Bailey's Burgers that had great gourmet burgers and lots of different flavors of sodas. The brewery tour in St. Louis was interesting and free, but if your time is limited I would not say it is a must do.

9. Re: Question: 5 days around Chicago Illinois and St. Louis MO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 00:46