We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Area?

Winchester, Indiana
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safe Area?

We have reservations at the La Quinta Inn On S. Lake Shore Drive, 1 mile from the Museum of Science and Industry. With all of the violence being reported on the south side, and being completely unfamiliar with the area, we are concerned. The shooting over the weekend was even on S Lake Shore Drive.We want to know if the hotel is in a reasonably safe area. Also is Navy Pier safe to visit at night? I tell myself it's a LONG street, but thought I would feel better getting advise from seasoned travelers, or hometown Chicago people. Thanks....... we are 2 middle age women, traveling alone, heading out on a 25 day road trip. (IL, SD, UT, CO, IL) But we have to make it out of Chicago first. Lol Its our first stop for 3 nights.....Thanks for your help

P.S. We live in a town with 6 stop lights in IN, so this is quite the Adventure!

Edited: 08 August 2018, 01:38
6 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,199 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Area?

That LQ would not be my first choice for a Chicago visit. Why did you select it?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,128 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Area?

That area is a bit isolated, not dangerous but isolated. Why did you choose that location instead of River North, The Loop or Gold Coast? If it was for budget: it's inexpensive for a reason. Navy Pier and anything downtown is fun and safe to visit. It's just, how are you going to get back and forth to your Hyde Park hotel? Plan on $50 per day parking if you are going a have a car in the city.

chicago
Level Contributor
9,206 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe Area?

You are better off staying downtown. What you picked it not at all convenient.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,459 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe Area?

Telephone the hotel and tell them what you've told us, including that you are 2 middle aged women. They will tell you the best way to get to and from downtown on public transportation, and the safe times to travel.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe Area?

It is safe, but as mentioned is a bit out of the way. I'm guessing the free parking there was an enticement.

SpotHero and ParkWhiz are two apps / websites (very legitimate) you can use to pre-book / pre-pay parking, with solid savings over the posted garage rates - if staying in a downtown hotel you can park using that instead of hotel valet to save money. Or, if you keep your current hotel, use it to save money for visiting downtown attractions (drive up, park the car, and use CTA / cabs / your feet to visit the attractions, and drive back to hotel). The Millennium Park garage is also not that expensive.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,927 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe Area?

So...what are your planned driving routes? Are you doing this solely by interstate? Or are you taking the blue roads as well?

Although this is obviously not an ideal location in Chicago, gonna assume that you choose that hotel because it wasn't 1) right "downtown" and 2) parking costs. Is that correct? How many nights were you planning on staying in the Chicago area?

Is this trip totally planned out or are you flexible? For example, can you visit Chicago on your way back or is it necessary to do so going westwards?

Reply to: Safe Area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted