We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Chicago Road Trip Itinery

Winchester, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Suggestions for Chicago Road Trip Itinery

I'm thinking of doing a road trip starting from Chicago next summer. I have two weeks and plan to spend 2-3 days sight seeing in Chicago before hitting the road. The itinery could be based around the Great Lakes or we could head off on a one way trip. My wife and I have a 7 year old daughter. We'd like a mixture of cities and outdoors on our route and wouldn't want to drive long distances every day. What would you recommend?

Best Seller
Chicago Architecture River Cruise
3,307 Reviews
from US$ 41.44*
Best Seller
Chicago Crime and Mob Tour
530 Reviews
from US$ 39.95*
Special Offer
Skydeck Chicago Admission
623 Reviews
from US$ 22.00*
US$ 24.00
3 replies to this topic
chicago
Level Contributor
9,448 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Suggestions for Chicago Road Trip Itinery

Circle tour of Lake Michigan. St Joe, Grand Haven, Sleeping Bear Dunes, Mackinac Island and Pictured Rocks.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
57,728 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Suggestions for Chicago Road Trip Itinery

Welcome to the TA forums.

Best to post in the TA Road Trips forum - https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

Edited: 07 August 2018, 00:52
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
327 reviews
3. Re: Suggestions for Chicago Road Trip Itinery

If you go into the chicago forum, there’s a sticky on the right side of the page that describes side trips from chicago.

Nevertheless, my vote is to do a lake michigan circle tour..... you should plan on more than 2-3 days in chicago—-maybe push it to 4 days, then embark on yor road trip.... 10 days is a good amount of time to circle lake michigan and take in surrounding sights such as sights along lake superior, which arguably, offers the most stunning scenery the Midwest USA has to offer.....

ANOTHER great lakes-oriented trip would be to head up to the bruce peninsula on lake huron, tho that will require a trip into canada, thus you might have issues with car rentals..... but if you could make it work, you could head east to sandusky, ohio, then north and cross into canada at detroit or port huron, then north to the bruce..... from there, you could take the ferry across at tobermory, then back down into the USA at the SOO, thed down the lake michigan coast to chicago.....

A ONE WAY idea would be to go to sandusky, niagara falls, maybe up to the bruce, then fly home from NYC....but be aware of possible hefty rental car drop-off fees.....

Reply to: Suggestions for Chicago Road Trip Itinery
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted