We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

O'Hare luggage recheck

Sioux Falls, South...
7 posts
O'Hare luggage recheck

Hi Everyone! I am flying in with an international flight and flying out with a domestic flight. I have separate tickets unfortunately. My question would be : will I have to take my luggage to the domestic terminal and check it in there with AA or can I do it in Terminal 5?

Best Seller
Chicago Architecture River Cruise
3,228 Reviews
from US$ 41.44*
Viator VIP: Willis Tower Skydeck...
104 Reviews
from US$ 124.00*
Chicago Explorer Pass
181 Reviews
from US$ 79.00*
11 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,808 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: O'Hare luggage recheck

AA has a check in desk as you exit immigration in T5. You’ll drop your bags there.

www.flychicago.com/ohare

Sioux Falls, South...
7 posts
2. Re: O'Hare luggage recheck

That's great! Thanks so much Dave! I was worried because I would have had a tough time to carry the bags up on the bus shuttle.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
118 reviews
3. Re: O'Hare luggage recheck

You should specify if this is one ticket or 2 and where you are coming from. If it’s separate tickets depending on the airline you might have to carry them to the other terminals. Also a few international flights from airports with immigration pre clearance don’t land at T5 and have bags checked through.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 17:44
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
118 reviews
4. Re: O'Hare luggage recheck

Sorry missed that you said you have separate tickets. You need to say what airlines and where you are coming from. Not all domestic airlines have a desk in T5. And some international flights land in other terminals.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,808 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: O'Hare luggage recheck

OP indicated that they’re flying AA on the domestic leg.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,594 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: O'Hare luggage recheck

Does AA have the ability to check in new bags in T5? There is certainly a drop off for connecting flights on one ticket but I am not sure they have the ability to checkin a passenger and issue luggage tags. I have never had the need to do it. Website says you must go to the terminal where your flight is departing.

B.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,173 posts
1 review
7. Re: O'Hare luggage recheck

Perhaps the OP will be kind enough to come back and let us know what happens.

I mean, the separate tickets have already been booked, so if the recheck desk won’t take the bags then they will have to be transported to T3 anyway, the OP won’t have a choice.

A potentially bigger issue might be if the first flight is late, causing the second flight to be missed. I hope there is a large window of time between the two flights.

Sioux Falls, South...
7 posts
8. Re: O'Hare luggage recheck

Thanks to everyone who answered. I guess I will see what happens. I have 4-5 hours between the flights so I hope I can make it even if I have to take my bags with me to the other terminal. It's just inconvenient because I have 4-5 suitcases so it won't be easy to handle them.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,808 posts
67 reviews
9. Re: O'Hare luggage recheck

A quick phone call to AA confirmed that they will accept your luggage and issue your boarding pass at the check in desk in T5.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
118 reviews
10. Re: O'Hare luggage recheck

If the domestic flight is on AA they’ll definitely take the bags at T5. But again, not every international flight lands at T5 so just make sure you know which terminal you land at. Many do land there but flights from Canada and the Caribbean and a couple other airports with pre clearance do not.

4-5 hours should be plenty to do this but on separate tickets the risk of missing the connection is you’re considered a no show and AA can make you buy a new ticket at last minute prices pending availability. There’s a top post on the air travel forum about this.

Reply to: O'Hare luggage recheck
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted