We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50 First Dates - where was it filmed?

Derby, UK
Level Contributor
860 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
50 First Dates - where was it filmed?

Does anyone know where '50 First Dates' starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore was filmed, and specifically the location of the 'breakfast bar' where they first met in the film?

Door County, WI
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 50 First Dates - where was it filmed?

I heard that the park they filmed at was Sea Life Park on Oahu, but that's all the info I know

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 50 First Dates - where was it filmed?

I was wondering about the restaurant,too, and whether it was just a set or a real place. Most of the exterior locations were on the windward side of the island, near Waimanalo and Kaneohe.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 50 First Dates - where was it filmed?

Try this: www.mooviees.com. I just checked it out for Fifty First Dates. Might have some more infor for you.

We just watched Honeymoon is Vegas a week ago. Saw lots of Kauai scenes. I'm finding myself looking for movies to rent that have filming in Hawaii, just so I can drool! Or say, "Wow, I've been there"!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,402 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 50 First Dates - where was it filmed?

Here is a link to the Star Bullitin that gives a pretty good list of all the movies filmed in Hawaii from like 1913 on:

starbulletin.com/2002/09/16/news/story3.html

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,402 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 50 First Dates - where was it filmed?

Forgot to say my favorite is Donovans Reef....the island supposedly was Haleakaloa....wonder where they came up with that?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 50 First Dates - where was it filmed?

I have heard/read that there are several movies that have scenes one would swear they saw in a particular place in Hawaii (and definetely are Hawaii) but when they check the credits it's not listed or has made up names. I'm blanking on particular movies right now, sorry.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 50 First Dates - where was it filmed?

Six days and seven nights with Anne Heche, Harrison Ford and David Schwimmer had a lot of filming on Kauai.

Haleiwa, HI
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 50 First Dates - where was it filmed?

I think the breakfast bar was filmed by Chinamans Hat - it's not a real restaurant. But, the name they used for the breakfast bar (Hukilau) is a real breakfast place in Laie.

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 50 First Dates - where was it filmed?

I found this site that might be helpful for you:

famouslocations.com/movies/50firstdates2004.…

They also have other movie locations if you want to look at some other famous movie locations.

-Aloha

Hawaii
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 50 First Dates - where was it filmed?

The breakfast place in 50 First Dates was on the grounds of Kualoa Ranch. I sits next to the ancient Moli`i fish pond just off the north end of Kaneohe Bay. (You'll know because you'll see the little island Chinaman's Hat aka Mokoli`i Island nearby). I was told it was a set built for the movie. I'm not sure if it is still there. A friend that worked on the movie told me it was demolished after the movie finished filming but I just don't know for sure. This is an area rich in Hawaiian history and it's beautiful. Kualoa park is huge and it is public, so very accessible.

The house she lived in with her family is also on Kaneohe Bay, pretty close to Kualoa Ranch. The pier has been there for years. There is a dirt road leading down to it off Kamehameha Hwy but I would not disturb the residents by driving down there. If you pull off Kam Hwy at Waiahole Beach park you can see it from a short distance.

There are some movie tours you can book that will show you locations from different films. If you go to the Kualoa Ranch homepage I think they are listed. They have all kinds of tours, riding stables, ATV rides, etc.

Some scenes were filmed in the valley behind Kualoa, like the one with the penguin in the dirt road. This area is owned by Kualoa Ranch and is a popular filming site. Because it is private property it is not accessible to the public. You'll see the gate to it off Kam Hwy just before you get to Kaaawa. If there is filming going on up there you'll see guards at the gate and signs. There is often a lot of activity around there. Lots of filming!

He kept his boat at Heeia Kea Boat Harbor, also on Kaneohe Bay. This is on Old Kam Hwy.

As mentioned, Sea Life park is where the water park scenes were filmed.

When you are on Oahu, just before you get to Kualoa Park headed north on Kam Hwy, look for a sign for the Macadamia Nut Farms and Outlet. This is a little visitor stop with shops and botanical tours. For a small fee they run a little tour out to the other side of Moli`i Pond. You will get to see where the breakfast place was and probably recognize a lot of scenes from the movie.