We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC to Hawaii

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
10 helpful votes
Washington DC to Hawaii
Save

Hello, we are looking to visit Hawaii (the big island and kauai) in May. We have 9 days to do both islands.

Does anyone have any tips / experience on the best ( good flight times - I.e not arriving at 3am) flight from Washington DC to either of these 2 islands? We would not mind stopping on the west coast.

I am also interested to learn about the different options for getting to one island to another.

Thanks

Lisa

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
11 reviews
20 helpful votes
1. Re: Washington DC to Hawaii
Save

Hi Lisa, first with only 9 days you don't really have time to do both the Big Island and Kauai. The Big Island is bigger than all of the other islands combined and the sights are spread apart and IMO it really requires about 7 nights or preferably more at the minimum to see both sides of the Big Island. If you just wanted to visit Volcanoes National Park and focus on just the East side sights, then you could stay just 3 nights on the Big Island flying into and out of Hilo and skip the West side, but you would be missing out on a lot on the West side.

Alternatively, you could spend your whole time on the Big Island and skip Kauai. 9 days is actually just about right for seeing the major sights on the Big Island and having time to relax. If you choose this, then I would split your stay with 2-3 nights East near the Volcano and the rest on the West side, which is the dry side with the beaches and snorkeling.

If you can add time for your trip, I'd allow 7-8 nights minimum for the Big Island and 5 nights minimum for Kauai. Fly into one island and out of the other.

We are also going in May to Oahu and the Big Island for our second trip to both of these islands. We have also been to Kauai twice and Maui once. As far as flights, there is a direct flight into Honolulu out of Dulles. We are actually taking a flight from Reagan (National) because it is so much closer to our house and much more convenient to fly out of for us (and the taxi is much cheaper). Our flight stops in Pheonix. We actually like having a west coast layover because we do not like being on a plane for 10-11 hours at a time. I like being able to stretch my legs and get something to eat before the next stretch. Many people like the direct flights though. I liked the San Francisco airport much better than LAX for a connection in the past if you have a choice.

I would suggest flying into your first island and out of your second island though so you don't have to backtrack . Check Kayak.com and ita matrix to see what days are cheaper to fly out if your days are flexible. Usually weekdays such as Tuesdays-Thursdays are cheaper to fly than on weekends, but look at the web sites to compare.

We booked our interisland flights separately with Hawaiian airlines, they run about $90-110 per person when we bought ours about a month ago. You will want to use Hawaiian airlines for your inter island flight.

kansas city
Level Contributor
161 posts
2. Re: Washington DC to Hawaii
Save

United has non stop IAD to HNL the Hawaiian to whatever island you choose.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
69 reviews
96 helpful votes
3. Re: Washington DC to Hawaii
Save

Congratulations on your upcoming trip! When you count your nights, I think you'll find 8 and that is barely enough to visit the Big Island by itself or will be a fantastic time for just Kauai. Another reason why is coming from the east coast, you will be jet lagged for the first couple of days. Just about the time you start feeling in rhythm with the island vibe, you'll be moving, which is a hassle and eats up about a half day of your vacation time in transition. With only 8 nights, I would gut it out and fly strait to Hawaii and not make a stop. When you decide which island, go to that specific island forum for additional, more exact help. Have fun planning

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
11 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: Washington DC to Hawaii
Save

Really depends on your preference whether to fly non stop or not. Our layovers are less than 2 hours, so not really adding that much time overall, and again I like to break it up, and I love not having to fly out of Dulles if I don't have to because it is inconvenient from where we live and we have to plan for traffic and an expensive cab ride or expensive parking fees if we leave from Dulles (not sure if you actually live in DC or in the metro area and if that would be a factor or not). Others prefer to just get there as fast as possible and don't mind the long 10 1/2 - 11 hour flight all at once.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Washington DC to Hawaii
Save

Agree with orchid, personal preference. Our favorite flight is one stop on the west coast. And jet lag has been mentioned -- plan on feeling refreshed in the very early morning for the first couple of days but then crashing early evening due to the time difference. The actual "lag" feeling comes when you get home again.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
69 reviews
96 helpful votes
6. Re: Washington DC to Hawaii
Save

Exactly as described by Almostgrownup, I call it reverse jet lag when flying west.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: Washington DC to Hawaii
Save

Wow, lots of great knowledge out there. I'm glad I posted the question. Thank you very much! Thinking of reconsidering the itinerary based on the above.

Lisa

North Carolina...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
65 reviews
52 helpful votes
8. Re: Washington DC to Hawaii
Save

I prefer to fly out of DCA - but I live fairly close & cab rides arenʻt too expensive. I donʻt think there are any non-stops from DCA but in May Iʻm booked on US Airways with one stop in Phoenix, which is not too bad. Personally, I despise IAD (too large, confusing and difficult to reach) and try to avoid it when I can. From what I can tell, prices for flights leaving DCA & IAD are about the same.

My last trip, we visited 3 islands, staying a week on each. The inter-island flights do take up a big hunk of your day and itʻs almost like losing an entire day. You still have to arrive early at the airport & factor in dropping off a rental car. Personally, I donʻt think island hopping is worth it unless you spend at least a week on each island. But thatʻs just my opinion -- I donʻt enjoy flying and all that goes with it much.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
25,926 posts
9. Re: Washington DC to Hawaii
Save

We fly to Maui from Chicago most winters. I try to get a nonstop on a widebody for the long leg. We can fly via DFW on a 767 nonstop to Honolulu or Maui. I avoid west coast connections and the 757's that usually fly those routes. The narrowbody planes are a pain -- even their first class is awful. You can walk up and down the aisles a couple times if you need to 'stretch your legs'. Returns are usually at night. I just love being dumped out of a 757 on the west coast after four hours -- after midnight -- with another long leg on *another 757* ahead of me.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
32,382 posts
10. Re: Washington DC to Hawaii
Save

Aloha,

Welcome to the Hawaii Forums !

You can connect with a nonstop to HNL at EWR, JFK, or ATL. At HNL, take an HA flight to the next island.

You will have to fly between your island choices.

Aloha

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.