We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days January on tight budget?

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
10 days January on tight budget?

Have an airline credit that will get me to Honolulu. First visit and wondering how to spend - like coastal oceanfront setting just to enjoy natural beauty. Realize January can be rainy and wondering if first half or second half of January best as combining with visit to relatives on west coast.

Wondering if best to move around or rent one spot for a week? Also open to affordable 7-10 day tours. Affordable for me is $100/day or less.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,306 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days January on tight budget?

You probably will save money with a weekly (or longer) condo rental. Depending on where you stay you might not need a car the whole time, but get one for some of the time to drive to see parts of the island like Norht Shore, windward beaches, etc.

We always go to Hawaii in Late January and the weather is usually OK. Sometimes there are winter storms and high surf but we just do land activities then until it goes down.

I believe Oahu is the most economical island to stay on overall.

Maui however has lots of sandy beaches not too far apart (in driving time) so a condo there (maybe around Kaanapali or in Kihei) might give you the beach lodging you seek and lots of variety...you will want to have a car there so factor it and parkign into the mix.

PS I am assuming the $100/day is lodging. If it is EVERYTHING then that's a tough nut to crack.

Edited: 27 May 2011, 00:42
Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days January on tight budget?

Thank you. A bit of surfing makes me think best to stay put on Oahu for one week and explore it indepth. Any suggestions on a good beachfront location - studio efficiency - and if possible with town feel to walk around rather than banks of highrise condos that is good. Clean, quiet and no frills fine.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
40,804 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days January on tight budget?

You need to read more about Hawaii. And Oahu. $100 per day is almost impossible. There are some budget hotels (and hostels), but they will not be beach front - and they will be on Waikiki/Honolulu. And you will need food, transportation ... activities.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
36,361 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days January on tight budget?

You can find deals - it just takes time to search. The best deals I have found on the islands is Kauai - I have found some cottages/condos from around $50-60 though most are around $75 a night. If you book early, you can get some deals on a car rental, which would be essential on Kauai.

I would check on vrbo.com for deals - even for Oahu. The good thing about Oahu is you wouldn't have to rent a car, as they do have the BUS. Good luck! :)

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days January on tight budget?

Thanks - I checked www.homeaway.com (similar to vrbo) and found some studios within my budget at Waikiki Grand Hotel that get good reviews. One was #206018 I notice realtor contact is Steve High and company sounds like Realty Executives Oahu. Wonder if anyone familiar with him/them..

I am happy not to have car and sounds like bus right beside it. Wondering if day trips by bus or day tours possible to see the rest of island? Advice seems to be given limited time ie week or so best to stick with one island at at a time and since flight in and out of Honolulu Oahu sounds like good starting point.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
36,361 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days January on tight budget?

Yes, you can take the bus all around the island and I did find Waikiki/Honolulu very walkable, which is nice. :)

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days January on tight budget?

Wondering where best base would be ie on beach, within easy walking of groceries, etc, and easy access to bus for exploring Island. Would Waikiki be best? or another town/beach area? have run across Kailua in my surfing and wonder if any thoughts about that?

There are many listings on vrbo and homeaway so if anyone knows of affordable studio appreciate knowing. Also open to hotel/motel type as well if efficiency.

Pepeekeo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
35,358 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days January on tight budget?

You could also take a look at Kailua-Kona on the Big Island. The weather would be some of the best in the state (and Kaua'i gives you the worst chance of weather).

While Kona is not as cheap for eating as Waikiki, it is not bad and there are no high-rises.

If you can get yourself an economy car rental, there is no end of things to do with a little driving around, and the traffic is very simple compared to Oahu. You cannot get lost.

If you want more of the nature and less of the city, and nightlife doesn't matter to you, I'd consider Kona.

If you don't mind an older motel type place, you can be oceanfront for under $100 at Kona Tiki.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60872-d111596-…

If you know how to bid Priceline, the Sheraton has been going for under $100 (like $89) in the Resort category, but it might be early to get a bid accepted, have never tried that far out.

You can always reserve with full cancellation ability and try a bid later.

You need a car on the Big Island, but if you get one well in advance it should not be too much. Get a compact for the gas mileage.

Just a thought.

Pepeekeo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
35,358 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 days January on tight budget?

oh and if you google

'surfing Kahaluu"

you can find videos of the surfing in the most popular visitor surfing area

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwvUsD_QQ4I

Normally smallish waves, but sometimes swells come in, in January.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 days January on tight budget?

Cost and time kick in if I go to another Island since direct flight is to Honolulu. Happy to use bus to get around and maybe make it to other Islands another time. Fairly active senior but not surfer so more interested in walking and sitting on beach and enjoying beauty of waves crashing etc.