We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Duty Free Liquor

Ontario
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Buying Duty Free Liquor

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the rules. I can't find the exact answer to my situation online, and everyone you ask has a different answer. Was hoping someone could point me to the right answer.

I'm flying from Halifax->Toronto->San Fran.->Hawaii with an over night layover in SF... Where I pickup my luggage for the night.

After I clear customs in Toronto, what are the rules regarding liquor @ the duty free shop?

Can I buy liquor (as much as I want?) after clearing US customs, carry it on to SF. Then overnight in SF, put it in my checked luggage in SF to HI without any questions?

Is this ok, legal, etc?

Then my question for 2 weeks later. What do I do if I don't finish all my opened liquor? Can I take it back (checked)? Leave it @ the hotel?

Thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
9,211 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Duty Free Liquor

You may purchase your Duty free exemption in YYZ prior to your flight to SFO. There is a limit per person..usually 1.14 liter.

Once in SFO (Overnight)...you are correct, you will have to pack it in your Checked baggage prior to going through security. There are no duty /tax concerns once you are within the US. Perfectly legal....as long as you are of legal drinking age.

On the return...you can do want you wish. If you have consumed all of the previously purchased Duty free liquor...you are able to bring back to Canada another 1.14liter bottle each. This bottle need not be purchased at a Duty Free Shop...anywhere...Longs's Costco..etc.. Partial bottles are acceptable as long as the # of mls does not exceed 1.14 liters.in checked baggage. make sure you waterproof the contents and wrap / pad securely in either newspaper or towel.

2. Re: Buying Duty Free Liquor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2010, 11:48