We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aston Mahana vs Aston Kaanapali shores or Aston Papakea

Saratoga, California
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
8 helpful votes
Aston Mahana vs Aston Kaanapali shores or Aston Papakea
Save

We are planning to go to Maui in Dec. Need advise on which condo units are better.

Costco has all these three available and I cant figure which is better. We are going with 2 kids (8 and 14) and looking for the following:

1. pool and beach access

2. Ocean view is a must

3. bar and restaurant inside the community will be a plus

4. 1 bedroom suite, and need it nicely done (prefer open plan and contemporary furnitures).

Thanks much!

4 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
25 reviews
32 helpful votes
1. Re: Aston Mahana vs Aston Kaanapali shores or Aston Papakea
Save

The units at all three of these properties are individually-owned, so the condition of the condos will vary. Oceanview often means you’ll see the ocean from a distance or from a side angle. All of the properties are very close to each other (within a half mile). I’ve stayed at Papakea many times, and KS once. I typically walk through these properties at least a few times a year. From what I’ve seen, all or most of December is sold out of rental cars, and Costco is offering other possible transportation options.

PAPAKEA: Complex furthest north of these three. Some units are nicely updated, and others look like they haven’t been touched since the eighties. I don’t think you have a “Premium” option with this one, and you may be set back from the ocean. Because of the layout, I believe most of the rooms can have oceanview in the description, but won’t be oceanfront. Although the pools are pretty basic, I like these better than most. (One is heated.) There’s really no beach in front of the resort, but the views from the seawall are amazing!

KA’ANAPALI SHORES: Literally next door to Papakea. Sometimes there’s no sand in front of the resort, but there was enough for lounge chairs a couple of months ago. (This whole area can be impacted by erosion.) KS would be my last choice because the room locations can be inconvenient, and the complex feels a bit boxed in to me. However, their pool renovation is nice, and they do have a restaurant and bar right there. Like Papakea, I don’t think Costco offers a premium option. The condo I stayed in was very dated and some things were broken.

MAHANA: Because you have a premium room option, and because the complex is literally oceanfront, I think you’d have the best luck getting a room type you want. However, construction is going on, so I’m not sure how your vacation would be impacted by that. Here’s the maintenance schedule: https://www.westmauicondos.com/maintenance-and-construction-schedule

The Mahana’s pool is underwhelming; I think your family would enjoy the pool areas at Papakea or KS much better. However, Mahana is closest to a good stretch of beach with the beach path starting right next door at Honua Kai.

All three of these properties are close to some food trucks and restaurants, but Mahana will be most convenient for walking the beach path down Ka’anapali.

Costco is a good choice due to their cancellation policies, and I recommend considering the ever-changing situation with other reservations and arrangements. Chase’NRainbows also has liberal terms, so you may want to see what they have available as well.

Good luck.

Iowa
Level Contributor
676 posts
44 reviews
24 helpful votes
2. Re: Aston Mahana vs Aston Kaanapali shores or Aston Papakea
Save

Mahana 1BR are pretty small for 4 people (kids would have to camp out in LR on pullout), 1 small bathroom, pool not great for kids (see very few kids there) BUT view is unmatched with whales going by at that time. We walk down the path to a beach for snorkeling, Dukes is next door, grocery store across the street. Biggest issue is the construction situation. If you don't get to pick unit, could be a problem. You would most likely want one in the Molokai building which I think is almost done with construction.

Maui
Level Contributor
1,05,429 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Aston Mahana vs Aston Kaanapali shores or Aston Papakea
Save

Have you looked at the Maui Eldorado?

Remember that Aston is a management company. It doesn't own any units--it manages them for owners.

I would look at Maui Resort Rentals, KBM, Quam, Chase n Rainbows, and Suite Paradise for other options. These have condos in a variety of complexes.

You are very, very late to get good deals AND a good updated condo for December. You might want to wait and plan for June instead.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
36 reviews
68 helpful votes
4. Re: Aston Mahana vs Aston Kaanapali shores or Aston Papakea
Save

i had good luck with the Mahana through costco in a 2 BR several years ago (nice unit). And I haven't stayed at KS. But between Mahana or Papakea with kids, I'd take Papakea ... i like the grounds, and the low density/low rise. Pools are great. There's a little putting course. Fish Market is right across the street ... No sand to speak of but there is a seawall with a ladder and always lots of turtles. And plenty of grass to sun on if you wish.

Reply to: Aston Mahana vs Aston Kaanapali shores or Aston Papakea
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.