We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post Offices on Maui

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
17 posts
45 reviews
Post Offices on Maui

Can anybody answer my question. In Australia you can have mail sent care of C/O the post office and they hold it for you for two weeks. Does USA post offices have the same service?. In particular Maui Hawaii?. I want to post myself a small parcel prior to arriving. Thanks.

15 replies to this topic
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
175 reviews
1. Re: Post Offices on Maui

I believe you would have to actually pay for a post office box in order to mail yourself something and pick it up at the post office. You can look up POs in Maui and rent one online but IDK if they'll let you do so from another country. Check usps.com!

Depending on where you're staying, you might be able to mail it to them and have them hold it for you too.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
196 posts
2. Re: Post Offices on Maui

Of course you can.

It's called General Delivery mail service here in the US. It's free.

Look up the location options on the USPS website. You can call the individual post offices to find out any specific local requirements, the holding periods, etc.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,957 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Post Offices on Maui

Elsie ... can we back up a little? What do you want to send? What's the situation?

If you were mailing from within the US ... I think it would be easier. Or at least I would have more confidence in the process.

I have mailed boxes to my hotel ... and it worked like a charm.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
196 posts
4. Re: Post Offices on Maui

She said it's a "small parcel". Why would it matter what item she wants to mail?

Some hotels have begun charging to hold packages for guests.

Condos may not have a front office to accept and store packages.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,957 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Post Offices on Maui

Harper - our poster is from Australia - not the US. What she mails and how "may" make a difference.

That's why I wonder if there is another way to skin-the-cat.

Maui
Level Contributor
71,177 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Post Offices on Maui

Everyone is kind of going "backwards" here. Elsie, you need to ship *from* Australia, which the USPS doesn't do.

Go to UPS and you can get quotes there:

https://www.ups.com/ship?loc=en_AU#/step1

since UPS does ship *from* Aus to the US. But you will need a street address and also someone to accept the package. It might just be easier and cheaper to bring it.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,957 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Post Offices on Maui

<<It might just be easier and cheaper to bring it.>> Or perhaps you can purchase it on Maui?

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
196 posts
8. Re: Post Offices on Maui

I think everyone on here is confused except for the OP and me.

Of course she can mail things from there to here. She doesn't think the US Postal System runs the mail in Australia and neither does anyone one else posting on this thread. But, really, now, people mail things internationally all the time, you know. It's not a new concept.

I don't see why anyone thinks she's going about it backwards.

She seems clear to me.

I'd guess she already checked with her condo or lodging about having it held there and was told she couldn't send it there.

Maui
Level Contributor
71,177 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Post Offices on Maui

Thing is--USPS will NOT accept any packages mailed to General Delivery for a **non** resident. You have to sign up in person for GD these days, since 2012................due to security and terrorism concerns.

In 2013 they allowed people who live here, but have no ID, to obtain GD privileges if at least 2 postal employees would 'vouch' for the person. Otherwise you have to provide 2 forms of ID and sign up in person.

That's why I said she needs to use UPS and a street address. Also, last I knew, GD won't take any international packages, for anyone. It's strictly domestic.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
196 posts
10. Re: Post Offices on Maui

Check the USPS regs.

Reply to: Post Offices on Maui
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted