We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Atlanta

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
6 reviews
Day trip from Atlanta

I am in Atlanta for a few days with my son and am interested in an itinerary for a day trip (can be a long day). I am interested particularly in waterfalls, but also in Native Americans, fossils, and antiques. Any suggestions for me?

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
129 reviews
1. Re: Day trip from Atlanta

Initial rough idea might be to head north on I-75 to Etowah Mounds State Historic Site - great Mississippian mounds and a small museum with artifacts found onsite. You could then head further up 75 to New Echota if you wanted more, which was the center of Cherokee activity up until the Trail Of Tears. You could then head east through mountain roads to make it to Amicalola Falls for hiking and a view of the falls before driving into Dahlonega for shopping/dinner and heading back via 400. That's a long day but doable!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
35,161 posts
508 reviews
2. Re: Day trip from Atlanta

Good idea!

Decatur, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
126 reviews
3. Re: Day trip from Atlanta

I second the suggestion.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
638 posts
1 review
4. Re: Day trip from Atlanta

I third it. The drive from Chatsworth to Ellijay is very scenic. Expect some very winding roads though.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: Day trip from Atlanta

You can get almost everything on your wish list by going to Cartersville. Etowah Indian Mounds (Indian) Booth Western Museum (Indian and antiques) antique stores in old Cartersville. Tellus Science Museum (Fossils) Sorry, no waterfalls but you could eat lunch at the Appalachian Grill or Mellow Mushroom.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: Day trip from Atlanta

I would suggest you make a trip to the mountains a whole different day.

7. Re: Day trip from Atlanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2017, 09:46