We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leadville hikes

Colorado
Level Contributor
215 posts
6 reviews
Leadville hikes

Anyone know of any goes hikes in and around the Leadville area?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour from Las...
626 Reviews
from US$ 369.99*
US$ 479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
379 Reviews
from US$ 299.99*
US$ 399.00
Special Offer
Las Vegas Tour: Grand Canyon...
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,566 posts
269 reviews
1. Re: Leadville hikes

Please give us a little more info so we can give you some good advice. When are you coming to Leadville? What level of hiking are you wanting to do? The area has some pretty strenuous trails due to altitude and terrain. Plus there is always the danger of unmarked and open mine shafts if you wander off trail in some areas which can lead to fatal falls so how good at reading trail maps are you?

Edited: 11 September 2010, 08:32
California
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Leadville hikes

I don't know how far you want to travel from Leadville, when you're going or what your hiking preferences are, but we did the Mayflower Gulch hike in July and it was wonderful. It's on CO-91 about 17 miles, maybe 20-25 minutes from Leadville, (rough estimates). About 4 miles round trip, steady but not too steep grade uphill for 2 miles and then downhill the way back. Beautiful hike with great scenery, we loved it. Anyway, I've only been to this part of Colorado once so there may be other hikes but I thought that one might suit since it's not that far from Leadville and trailhead is right on the road.

summitcountyexplorer.com/HIKES/…20Trail.htm

Edited: 11 September 2010, 19:35
Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Leadville hikes

There are LOTS of great hikes around Leadville! If you are there this month (September) Willis Gulch has great aspen viewing--I hope to do it tomorrow. It's out by Twin Lakes. Also at Twin Lakes you can hike to the old Interlochen Hotel site--this is an easy, not steep, hike. A few weeks ago we did Hagerman Pass and Windsor Lake, these both start above Turquoise Lake. There are hikes fromt he Fish Hatchery, which is worth a trip in itself, including a marked nature trail and a short walk to another hotel site (this one has no buildings left, unlike Interlochen). The Colorado trail runs through Leadville and many of the hikes I mention connect with it.

As other respondents have said, tell us more about when you will be there & what kind of hiker you are.

4. Re: Leadville hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2011, 09:46