We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for sights along I-70

Port Saint Lucie...
4 posts
Save Topic
Looking for sights along I-70

Hi, I am moving from California to Maryland and will be driving a 26ft truck with a car hauler. But, I was wanting to know if anyone knew of any good places along I-70 to stop for some outdoor activity or historic places. Since I am in a big truck, there arent many places I can go but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks.

Larry

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for sights along I-70

Yikes, I don't envy you with that kind of cross-country drive. You will certainly need to get out and stretch your legs - there are some great places you can do it.

My first thought is right after you come through the Eisenhower Tunnel, you'll be in Summit County and near Lake Dillon. Take the Dillon/Silverthorne exit. There should be some parking lots along the lake where you could stop and get out and walk along the lakeshore path. Further up I-70, there's a rest stop near the top of Vail Pass where I see big rigs all the time. They have a bike path that runs down the median in some places.

Beyond Vail, there's Glenwood Canyon, where they've got rest stops and a bike path along the Colorado River, as well as a trailhead to a very picturesque spot called Hanging Lake. If you're up for a short, but uphill hike, I'd highly recommend it. I'm not 100% if the parking lot can accommodate a truck your size, but it would be worth exploring. Also, you might consider staying overnight in Glenwood Springs where it's easy to get on and off the highway and you can enjoy their public hot springs pool. You'll need it by then!

Denver
Level Contributor
422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for sights along I-70

I agree that Hanging Lake is a must-see stop right off of I-70. It is a steep hike up to the lake, but the hike is relatively short and the scenery along the way is incredible. It's a very good stop if you're looking for outdoor activity.

Also, you might consider exiting I-70 at Silverthorne and taking Highway 6 over Loveland Pass, rejoining with I-70 on the other side. The view from the top of the pass is spectacular. Highway 6 winds around a lot as it goes over the pass, but I know 18-wheelers have done it so you should be able to do it, too.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for sights along I-70

I'm not sure if it is in Utah or in Colorado (it's right near the state line anyway), but there is an interesting walk right off I-70 called "Trail Through Time". I know it's west of Grand Junction. There are dinosaur fossils and interpretative info here.

You'll also be going through Glenwood Canyon on I-70. The rest stops there can accomodate you, and you can take some walks on trails from there. One that is particularly nice is along Grizzly Creek. If you don't feel like parking at a trailhead and doing a steep hike uphill (e.g. Hanging Lake), you can park in a Glenwood Canyon rest area and then walk away from the freeway along Grizzly Creek for exercise and peace and quiet. An option, anyway. Take Grizzly Creek Exit, #121.

Then, further on down the road, you'll get to Georgetown which is a National Historic District and is definitely worth a look.

Hope that helps and makes your trip a little more interesting.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for sights along I-70

Oh my, you get to drive UP Vail Pass! Whew!

Colorado Nat'l Monument in Grand Junction is neat. Glenwood Canyon is neat (we biked it last week) also. The Frisco/Dillon/Silverthorne area is nice - take a pit stop at the outlet mall.

Georgetown is a quaint town with a lot of history.

Port Saint Lucie...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for sights along I-70

Thanks all for replying. Sounds like a good time. I have always wanted to come to Colorado to see some bigger mountains than we have here in WV. You all have been very helpful and thanks again.