We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dying for real Chicago Style pizza?

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
588 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Dying for real Chicago Style pizza?

I am hoping that someone has a secret place I don't know about :)

I am looking for real deep dish chicago style pizza. The type that Lou Malnati's in Chicago would make, Deep dish, but not thick crust with the sauce on top.

I was so excited to find Beniaminos a couple years back, but since they have closed, I cannot find anywhere to satisfy my cravings!

Willing to drive if anyone knows of one outside of Denver, in Boulder or the springs or mountain towns.

While I like our local Guidos for NY style, and enjoy the occasional Beujous. I need a chicago style fix!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,199 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dying for real Chicago Style pizza?

Isn't that what Old Chicago is known for... Chicago style deep dish pizza? It's no secret : ) They have locations all over Colorado: www.oldchicago.com

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
588 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dying for real Chicago Style pizza?

I haven't tried Old Chicago here, but is it the same chain that is in Iowa? They seem to have the same chain look, and the ones in Iowa weren't authentic Chicago style at all? I have never tried one since moving here though. So maybe they are different here?

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dying for real Chicago Style pizza?

I never had one in Iowa, but from what I remember from the one pizza in chicago I have had, the pizzas at old chicago have less thick toppings. but it's close enough for those of us not from chicago ;)

Actually, from my travel experience, you won't find exactly what you are looking for anywhere but chicago. Sort of like one doesn't find Saint Louis style pizza anywhere but in Saint Louis. But that's OK, because it's much better to be in Colorado having a generic pizza than actually being in either Saint Louis or Chicago. ;)

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
588 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dying for real Chicago Style pizza?

Lol, I have no idea what St Louis style pizza is? Have been to St. Louis a few times, but never had pizza, I don't think.

Yes, probably, I thought maybe some one knew somewhere.

Beniaminos was great though! And was from a chicago guy! It was perfection while it lasted. Too bad it went under.

I guess I will try Old Chicago here, and see what I think.

I don't get the craving very often, but when I do .... although I just saw that Lou Malnati's will ship frozen pizzas :) Beats the price of a plane ticket I guess.

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dying for real Chicago Style pizza?

So while looking around the internet, have you tried nicolo's chicago pizza? they have nine colorado locations http://nicolospizza.com/

I've never even eaten there myself.

Amazingly, I also found a Saint Louis style Pizza in Arvada http://www.citypizzaandpasta.com/ which I shall have to try sometime.

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dying for real Chicago Style pizza?

there really is a wikipedia entry for everything, isn't there:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Style_Pizza

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis-style_pizza

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
588 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dying for real Chicago Style pizza?

OMG ... now you are just torturing me with the pics of the chicago pizza from Wikipedia!!

I am going to have to try that place in Arvada to experience St. Louis pizza. I love all kinds of pizza, so that will be fun to experience.

Yeah, we tried Niccolo's when we first moved here. It is good pizza, but not what I am on the hunt for :)

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,199 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dying for real Chicago Style pizza?

Izzy, I didn't realize that Old Chicago had become a chain until I looked at their website last night. I thought they were only in Colorado. The original Old Chicago is in Boulder on the Pearl Street Mall. When I lived there I ate there frequently and thought theirs was pretty good (I'm from the Midwest so I know Chicago style pizza). I guess when Rock Bottom took over they franchised it. I haven't been in years, so maybe it's changed -- and not for the better?

I've had the same problem with bagels. The round things that pass for bagels here are NOT like real NY/NJ bagels! Someone once told me that it has to do with the altitude... they just don't turn out the same. Fact or fiction - who knows?

Good luck with your search and let us know if you find a place with the real deal. Perhaps a trip to Chicago is in order?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,455 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dying for real Chicago Style pizza?

Maybe just order one in from Chicago!!

www.giordanos.com/main.php

www.loumalnatis.com/

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dying for real Chicago Style pizza?

Timo, you are my hero!! I grew up in St. Louis and have been craving St. Louis style pizza for the last 25 years!! BTW, everyone, super-thin, crispy crust, "Provel" cheese, which is also only made in St. Louis. I think it's a combo of cheddar, provolone and mozzarella, but who cares, it's soooo good. Arvada, here I come! =)))