We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Trip Next Week - RMNP, Estes Park, Summit County?

Akron, Ohio
9 posts
1 review
Short Trip Next Week - RMNP, Estes Park, Summit County?

i just found out i need to go to Arvada this weekend for work. I will be in the Denver area Sat Sun Mon working (12 hour days). I decided to take the rest of next week as vacation days. I have to fly out of Denver Friday.

I have never been outside of the Denver area and am not sure what to focus on.

I am 50 year old will have a rental car.

I would like to see Rocky Mt NP.

I would like to do scenic drives but not more than about two or three hours away from Denver.

I would like to do some hikes. not long or strenuous as i has knee surgery in july.

i would like to find great photo ops with fall color and mountains. (maybe this is everywhere??).

I dont know whether to spend all of the time (3 nights) in Estes Park/national park area or venture out to such as Vail, Aspen, Tellerude, Summit County towns, St Elmo or the Pikes Peak area and just a day drive through the park. Looking at photos I think the Pikes Peak area is not as scenic as the areas more west?

i would appreciate any help with how to best utilize my time from late Mon until Friday. Im excited that this trip came up during fall when colors and weather are nice so trying to make it good without overdoing it too.

thank you.

3 replies to this topic
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,215 posts
205 reviews
1. Re: Short Trip Next Week - RMNP, Estes Park, Summit County?

Consider heading to Steamboat Springs if you traverse your way east to west through RMNP then head down towards Summit County. If you are interested in hot springs, Strawberry Hot Springs near Steamboat are quite relaxing.

Georgetown and Guanella Pass are good stops as you head back towards Denver from Summit County.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
12,968 posts
136 reviews
2. Re: Short Trip Next Week - RMNP, Estes Park, Summit County?

Although I wrote this very detailed post for another person who was traveling with a child, you may also find the map routes, short hike suggestions and scenic drive options helpful.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927…

Akron, Ohio
9 posts
1 review
3. Re: Short Trip Next Week - RMNP, Estes Park, Summit County?

thank you. i dont think i will go as far as Steamboat Springs. i just read your update about fall foliage in Estes Park and RMNP. i would rather spend time in the park, possibly 2 nights in Estes Park and then go south to Summit County area. i have not seen much about other areas fall foliage but I will assume leaves are mostly falling. in Denver Arveda, just arrived, there are pops of color but not peak, but not mountains either. I thank you for your response and the loop map you suggest. If you know how foliage is outside RMNP IN Summit County I70 etc let me know. Have a good weekend ma'am.

Edited: 21 September 2018, 23:42
Reply to: Short Trip Next Week - RMNP, Estes Park, Summit County?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted