We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rocky Mountain NP to Salt Lake City ideas

Spalding, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rocky Mountain NP to Salt Lake City ideas

Hi, I am looking for advice. I have a trip planned in July to visit Yellowstone, Black

Hills and maybe RMNP. I have first part planned, but I am now planning journey back to SLC via RMNP

2 July - land SLC and overnight in Logan

3-6 Jackson for GTNP

6-10 Yellowstone

10 July - Cody

11 July - Spearfish

12-14 keystone for Blackhills

From Keystone I would like to drive to RMNP on way back to Salt Lake City for flight on 19th July.

Options I looked at are 2 night (15 & 16 July) Estes Park, and then slow drive back to SLC but not sure on best route or places to visit.

Any recommendations welcome

2 replies to this topic
Spalding, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rocky Mountain NP to Salt Lake City ideas

Would welcome other area in this part of Colorado as an alternative to RMNP that may not be so crowded.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,557 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rocky Mountain NP to Salt Lake City ideas

From RMNP back to Salt Lake City, US40 is your best and really only efficient choice. You can do it in one day. Steamboat Springs is a nice spot along the way. You could hit Dinosaur National Monument in western Colorado/eastern Utah - right on US40. If you decide to overnight, Steamboat and Vernal are your best options. You could, though, just push on to Utah and stay here in Park City - just 40 minutes from airport.

The route from RMNP on US40 starts out through Byers Canyon along the Colorado River. You then go over Rabbit Ears Pass into Steamboat with some stunning views. The rest of the drive is through wide open desert and prairie. Some nice rock formations as you approach the Dinosaur area. It closes out with high mountain prairie and low level pass through Daniels Summit as you approach Heber City, Utah. For sure, do make a stop in Park City.

Have fun.

Reply to: Rocky Mountain NP to Salt Lake City ideas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted