We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Colorado

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in Colorado

Hi all,

I'm going to Denver to visit a friend in late July this year, flying in early on a Friday (6:00am) and leaving early Monday morning. Looking for some ideas of things to do there. I'm from the Midwest, so my biggest desire is to hike in the mountains and then relax on some good patios for delicious food and drink (though not much of a beer drinker). My friend and I are both strong hikers with lots of experience. Her family also has a condo in Keystone that we could stay in if we wanted to. We are happy to drive up to two hours, but obviously the more we can combine/shorten driving to spend more time eating/drinking on patios and hiking, the better! We would probably hike up to 13ish miles in a day, depending on how far we had to drive. I did spend one week in Colorado a few years ago including 24 hours in Denver (walking downtown by the river, and seeing a Rocky's game) and then up near Estes Park for a family reunion where we hiked the Nymph, Emerald, Dream lake trail and drove around RMNP a bit.

My research so far has me interested in the Garden of the Gods, Red Rocks, MIlls & Black Lake, and Sky Pond/Glass Lake, though there's nothing that I'm super set on. Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
13,909 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Sky Pond
Sky Pond
80 Reviews
Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
374 Reviews
from US$ 299.99*
US$ 399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour from Las...
602 Reviews
from US$ 369.99*
US$ 479.00
Special Offer
Las Vegas Tour: Grand Canyon...
127 Reviews
from US$ 476.99*
US$ 499.00
4 replies to this topic
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
142 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Colorado

Garden of the Gods is beautiful, but because of all the roads that bisect it, it’s not really a hiking destination, per se. more of a tourist destination. There are trails, but they’ll be crowded with people on a weekend.

My favorite place to hike that’s within an hour of the city is Golden Gate Canyon State Park

My fav patios around the city:

Avanti Food Hall

Tap 14 Uptown

Park Burger RiNo

Los Chingones

Infinite Monkey Theorem

Mentioned in this post
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
13,909 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Golden Gate Canyon State Park
Golden Gate Canyon State...
238 Reviews
Golden, CO
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
238 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Colorado

Garden of the Gods is in Colorado Springs, an hour south of Denver, and while it is vere scenic, the 'hiking' mostly consists of leisurely 10-min strolls among the rock formations. I would not consider it a hiking destination. With that being said, there are several spots that are hiking destinations in Colorado Springs and the surrounding area including Barr Trail, the Manitou Incline, Cheyenne Canyon, and the Crags (west side of Pikes Peak). If you are feeling a bit more adventurous, you could spend the night halfway up Pikes Peak at Barr Camp where everything is provided except a sleeping bag. The food is not 5-star, but the patio is spectacular.

Mentioned in this post
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
13,909 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Cheyenne
Cheyenne
Wyoming
Pikes Peak
Pikes Peak
5,623 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
238 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Colorado

Looks like Tiffany and I had the same thoughts about Garden of the Gods at the same time!

Mentioned in this post
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
13,909 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Colorado

Thanks for the tips this far! Good to know about Garden of the Gods, May be disappointing to drive all the way down there for not a real hike.

Any suggestions on a not too difficult but picturesque 14er we could do nearby?

Reply to: Weekend in Colorado
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted