We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SFO to LA - one night along the way

Reston, VA, United...
4 posts
SFO to LA - one night along the way

After spending 7 days in LA, we plan on driving to San Francisco via Rt. 5 on July 5. (I understand that should be a 6 hour drive.) No stops are planned except perhaps a brief excursion to Sequoia National Park. After spending some time in San Francisco, we return to LA on July 9th. We can spend the night of July 9 along the way and finish up with a night at a hotel at LAX before returning to the East Coast. Thoughts on the route back to LA? Where should we stay along the way?

8 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: SFO to LA - one night along the way

If I-5 stop at Harris Ranch. If US 101 I would stop in Pismo Beach. I think Sequoia is too far off track to just "see" that quickly.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,805 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: SFO to LA - one night along the way

Hi

Do you know that detouring to Sequoia NP in the Sierra Nevada mountains is more than just a "brief excursion" and would take you far far from Interstate 5? If that's a place you want to visit, go there on your way back to L.A. and stay a night. Or stay in L.A. fewer nights and go to Sequoia NP on the way to SF, staying the night.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,832 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: SFO to LA - one night along the way

A brief stop at SEKI. Humm that sounds like a lot is driving Why ? And then on the way back I guess you can stay at Pismo Beach if you go down 101

And you won’t see much of SEKI nor any part of the Big Sur. I would just fly up and fly down

Reston, VA, United...
4 posts
4. Re: SFO to LA - one night along the way

Thanks for the replies. We wanted to get up to SFO fairly quickly on the 5th and see something along the way, but I guess that is not really possible. The hotel in SFO is prepaid and the dates cannot be changed. Not our doing, but that of the people travelling with us. So, I guess we will bypass Sequoia NP. I will concentrate on the return, starting July 9.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 07:28
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,805 posts
123 reviews
5. Re: SFO to LA - one night along the way

Hi

If you're staying in San Francisco (SF), then I recommend using the SF forum for city tourism ideas.

Reston, VA, United...
4 posts
6. Re: SFO to LA - one night along the way

Thanks

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,247 posts
76 reviews
7. Re: SFO to LA - one night along the way

In July, the coastal road (Hwy. 1) will still be closed south of Big Sur. With only one night along the way, you have two choices: prioritize Big Sur (with the result of a VERY long driving day) or even up the drive (with the result of short-changing Big Sur).

If you prioritize Big Sur, spend the night in Monterey. The first day driving from SF, drive straight to Monterey, then down Hwy. 1 through Big Sur, seeing as much as you can before returning to Monterey for the night. If you only want to stop one place, visit Point Lobos.

The next day, drive from Monterey via Hwy. 101 to LA. You can have lunch anywhere from Paso Robles to San Luis Obispo or even Santa Barbara (where you could easily spend a few hours sightseeing). Just avoid LA's rush hour traffic by arriving early or late.

If you want a more evenly-spaced drive, spend the night in Pismo Beach. Take Hwy. 1 from SF to Monterey (to at least see some of the coast), then 101 to Pismo Beach.

>>and see something along the way,<<

The issue is that there's really nothing 'along the way' that's worth seeing. And anything worth seeing (like SEKI) is a major detour -- and because you're driving into the mountains, it's slow as well as far away.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 15:09
Reston, VA, United...
4 posts
8. Re: SFO to LA - one night along the way

Thank you.

Reply to: SFO to LA - one night along the way
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted